Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I am convinced that the fingerprint reader is fine. There must be some issue with the driver perhaps, something incompatible with a recent Windows 7 software update?

The scenario:

• Laptop working fine.  I put it to sleep when I'm done and use the mousepad to wake it up.  The fingerprint reader LED will blink, and I can swipe my finger to log on.
  • At some point, after a few times of putting laptop to sleep and waking up, the fingerprint reader does not respond.  No blinking LED.  I swipe my finger and the reader does not respond at all -- doesn't even tell me that there was a bad read.
  • If I log off and log back on again, no change. However, if I do a reboot, everything is fine--the fingerprint reader is working again.  

I have looked up time and time again for new drivers and installed.  Nothing seems to affect this scenario.   Unfortunately, this started happening about 9 months ago (estimated) and because of the sporadic nature of it, I just wasn't observant enough to know the "precise point" in time when it started happening.  My instincts tell me that there has been some kind of software/driver update along the way that is causing the fingerprint reader not to work right.  I would hope that HP continues a relationship with these fingerprint reader companies and can convey these kinds of issues so that a software update can be made.  But... I have no idea if it has been discontinued.  My laptop is still under warranty, but it would be ridiculous to send it in for just this problem.

I'm hoping someone has heard of this on the dv6 and may know of a solution.  Thanks!

My system is an HP dv6-6145dx.  I am running Windows 7, with latest updates.  The built-in fingerprint reader is running on HP Simple Pass 2011 v5.1 and Validity Sensor driver version 4.3.205.0.  When I attempt to launch the Simple Pass interface, it loads the database but then the application vanishes.  I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the software, but this does not make any difference with the issue I noted.

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No problems, I completely got that I shouldn't bother with Simple Pass version 8.  I went ahead and installed version 6.  I still didn't get any joy, so I did a little more digging and found a later Validity Sensor driver, version 4.3.304 (not noted in the driver update list for my laptop model).  THIS WORKED.  I can now go into hibernate mode and the fingerprint reader remains funtional when the system is brought out of hibernation.  Previously it was pretty much guaranteed to become disabled.  So... seems like my problem is solved now.

:OpenSmile:

"Trying to remain positive and optimistic in an ever growing negative and cynical world. Peace."

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

gkline

I was so surprised to see that you are using HP SimplePass V5.1 that I went back and looked through your other Posts to see if you had broached this subject in the past.  :generic:

There is nothing wrong with V5.1 although it is so much out of date that I am surprised it has continued to function to this point.  It is a testament to strength of the code and the health of your system that it has done so.

According to your version of the Validity Sensor Driver (V4.3.205.0), you can update to the latest Series 6 HP SimplePass.  A newer Driver would be better, of course.

While the program presentation is a bit different from version 5.1, the program is essentially what you are used to using; the password / webcard database is compatible.  You should be able to move to the newer version without any issues.  The latest Series 6 version is more stable than previous versions; you should no longer suffer the indignities of a program that mysteriously stops working.

See the following Dragon Document:

Instructions to Update HP SimplePass

No Driver at your computer's Website Support page?  See Section Bits and Drivers

NOTE:  There are two Series of HP SimplePass mentioned in the document.  You may want to stay with Series 6.  Feel free to read about Series 8; for the moment, you are best served (in my opinion) by sticking with what you are using now.

The Update procedure is simple. 

Start at Page 5: Section Procedure to Update / (Re) Install HP SimplePass

Essentially you want to complete the following sections:

• Export your Webcards (if possible)
  • Create Restore Point
  • Reinstall Validity Driver
  • Reboot Computer
  • Download and Install the latest Series 6 HP SimplePass (V6.0.100.276)

When you are done with the Update:

See the instructions in the section titled:

Device Power Setting – Wake Up!

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your detailed reply, Dragon-fur.

I upgraded to HP SimplePass 2012 (v 5.3) and the problem still persisted.  Easiest way to reproduce is by going into hibernate mode.  After resuming Windows, the fingerprint reader is inactive.

I've downloaded the Series 6 version and will try that.  And if that doesn't work I'll attempt a hard reset.  I'll report back my findings later.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

gkline,

Hmm..  As is my habit, I have read both your response and what I sent to you.

I have noted that I said "you are best served (in my opinion) by sticking with what you are using now."

This statement was meant in context:

HP SimplePass Series 8 is the "new" SimplePass that comes installed on the newer notebooks.  While it sounds exciting and it is indeed new, the software has limitations:  it only runs with Internet Explorer, it is not compatible with previous versions of the SimplePass programs, and it does tend to show signs of being somewhat fragile (personal opinion). 

Most everyone that is not using Series 8 is using HP SimplePass Series 6.

When I tell people they are best served by sticking with what they have, I am referring to "sticking with HP SimplePass Series 6".

I encourage you, at your own time, to consider an update to the latest version of Series 6 HP SimplePass.

When you do get your installation of SimplePass working, do Export your Webcards!

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

No problems, I completely got that I shouldn't bother with Simple Pass version 8.  I went ahead and installed version 6.  I still didn't get any joy, so I did a little more digging and found a later Validity Sensor driver, version 4.3.304 (not noted in the driver update list for my laptop model).  THIS WORKED.  I can now go into hibernate mode and the fingerprint reader remains funtional when the system is brought out of hibernation.  Previously it was pretty much guaranteed to become disabled.  So... seems like my problem is solved now.

:OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

I don't know why my reply disappeared... I marked it as having solved the problem and it vanished.

Validity Sensor Driver version 4.3.304 is what solved my problem.

HP Recommended

Excellent.

The later Driver provided an embedded fix you needed.

Now you can run the later version of the program, too.

Remember to keep your Webcards Exported.  This is as important as keeping your bookmarks up to date -- actually more important.  Keep the export file in a safe place, perhaps on a USB stick or on an external drive somewhere.

Happy Computing!

Click the Kudos Thumbs-Up to show you appreciate the help and time from our Experts.

Although I strive to reflect HP's best practices, I do not work for HP. 

Click Accept as Solution when the Answer is a good Fix or Workaround!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Interesting... you mean the validity sensor driver I indicated is compatible with HP Simplepass version 8?

I don't normally make a habit of exporting my fingerprint profiles... but I do keep my passwords in a safe place (I view the fingerprint reading as an accessory, not the sole driver of passwords).  Still, not a bad idea to export them.  Thanks for the advice.

HP Recommended

Series 8 HP SimplePass supports Windows 7 through Windows 10.

The minimum Validity Driver version for any version of SimplePass is the aforementioned "205" version. 

If you want to run SimplePass on Windows 10, you need a Synaptics / Validity Driver rated for at least Windows 8.1 OS.  Also necessary in Windows 10 to enable fingerprint logon:  PIN number

Commentary

Edits to reduce what might just be seen as an arch attitude.

Thanks for the reminder to be generous.  :generic:

• Your Webcards cannot be imported from Series 6 to Series 8.  The .tsd format is NOT compatible with the .opi format.  There is NO conversion program.
  • Series 8 only works with Internet Explorer.
  • Series 8 HP SimplePass appears to be fragile -- it should improve with time.
  • Series 8 is supported and is the program provided with new notebooks.  When possible, Series 8 is the defacto choice.
  • There are occasional Updates forthcoming with Series 8.  This is no longer the case with Series 6; there are no longer updates for the old AuthenTec version:  Apple bought the company and Poof!  Gone.
  • Series 8 HP SimplePass may, at some point, be the only SimplePass that we have left that works at all.  There may be value in using it, or at least, trying it for the sake of knowing what it can and cannot do.
  • Series 8 provides a clean, sleek, easy to read and use interface.

If you create a Restore Point, have an Export of your Webcards, have downloads of your working driver and program, and downloads of the program you want to try, you can essentially do whatever you like.

HP SimplePass is just a program like any other.  Although Series 8 and Series 6 cannot be on the computer at the same time, you can "switch", that is, remove one and install the other.

There is a section describing how to do this in the Dragon doc.

It is just software -- have fun with it.  It is, after all, your computer and you are the boss.  :generic:  Just have your backups in order before you start playing.

Happy Computing!

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Click my Answer Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I wasn't complaining... the tone of your reply seems to suggest this.  I was just curious about the compatibility for FUTURE USE once HP Simplepass V8 becomes stable.  But, for my purposes version 6 will be fine.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.