Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV7 2185dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys

Im just wondering if its possible upgrade graphic card in my HP Pavilion DV7 2185dx and if its possible whats the options. As I have information the graphic card is nonintagrated but may be Im wrong. Right now there is ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650. However if anyones now the solution I will really appreciate that. 

Kind Regards

Rasty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes the video card is dedicated but that does not mean it is removeable and replaceable. It is still a chip soldered to the motherboard and there is just no way to install anything any better. 

You have the Radeon HD 4650 which seems lame now but was the thing back in 2009 (8 years ago) when that model was sold. 

So it is not even possible to upgrade by putting in a different motherboard, you are already at the top of the curve for a dv7-2000 series laptop. No motherboard with better graphics can be installed. Sorry. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Yes the video card is dedicated but that does not mean it is removeable and replaceable. It is still a chip soldered to the motherboard and there is just no way to install anything any better. 

You have the Radeon HD 4650 which seems lame now but was the thing back in 2009 (8 years ago) when that model was sold. 

So it is not even possible to upgrade by putting in a different motherboard, you are already at the top of the curve for a dv7-2000 series laptop. No motherboard with better graphics can be installed. Sorry. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Aha. Well what can we do :} Thanks that you teach me something new :} I really appreciate that.

Wishing all the best.

Kind Regards 

Rasty.

HP Recommended

@countyboy1,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding issues with the computer not booting and there is no display. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you check the product specifications and service manual of the unit?
  • Did this happen after a power outage or surge?

For now, let me keep you posted about a few things.

• Product Specifications link: http://hp.care/2HYE3N4
  • Service and maintenance guide: http://hp.care/2HXytKF please refer to page 79 and it gives the motherboard type, with specifications and part numbers.
  • Also, refer to the different graphics card options in the service manual and pick the one that matches the product specs of the computer after checking with a local technician.
  • Based on this you could upgrade the motherboard.

This is a very old computer that came with Windows Vista preloaded and not manufactured anymore by HP. So HP does not have service options anymore for this computer. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.

If the computer is more than 4 years old then service options with HP are no longer available because the original suppliers and manufacturers who manufacture and supply the parts to HP to build and service the computer don't do so anymore.

Please contact a local technician to get the product repaired. (Someone like Best Buy or Staples or any local technician)

• Please venture into this with prudence and discretion as the cost of replacement may be almost the cost of a computer. If it is not astronomical and not prohibitive then you could give it a shot.
  • Otherwise, you might also visit HP shopping via this link: http://hp.care/2rQLe1b
  • Here select the country of residence and you might find a phone number to call HP shopping.
  • You might get a good deal that matches your requirements, budget and necessities. I am again being honest here and don’t live in Bill Gates’s neighborhood and understand precisely where you come from.

Good luck and keep me posted.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

thanks for  your reply. I need a motherboard but I am not sure which one to order. Can you help me with the link please to the correct motherboard for my laptop pleasE?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.