Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv3-4121ss

Hi,

After upgrade my CPU to an 840qm the bloq. mayus led blinks four times, wich means I have a problem "Graphics controller not functional". I think it is a problem that the CPU does not have integrated graphics, but in the manual of the laptop it indicates that this CPU is compatible.

Maintenance and service guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02639565

Any solution?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

You are 100% correct regarding why the quad core processor didn't work.

Intel 1st gen quad core processors require the PC to have a discrete video adapter.

If your notebook only has the onboard Intel graphics, then a 1st gen quad core processor will not work.

The best processor you can install on models with the onboard Intel graphics would be the Intel Dual Core i5-580M.

The quad core processors would only be supported in the dm3 notebooks that have the AMD HD 5450/Intel switchable graphics adapters.

HP Recommended
Thanks to you @Paul_Tikkanen but I forgot to say that my laptop does have the AMD HD 5450/Intel switchable graphics adapters.
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If that is the case, then the processor you installed should have worked, and unfortunately, I would have no idea why it didn't unless the processor is defective.

HP Recommended

OK:

I found the problem...

Notebooks with the quad core processors use different motherboards than the ones with dual core processors.

See chapter 3, page 17, item 10...

(10) System board (includes replacement thermal material):
For use only with Intel Core Quad processors                     611348-001
For use only with Intel Core Dual and Core2 processors  599414-001
For use only with Intel Core Quad processors (1-GB)       622627-001
For use only with Intel Core Dual and Core2 processors 622626-001

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.