Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15-F387wm (AMD Series)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have played an online game named Roblox, which does need a decent laptop to run. Even though my laptop was built for gaming, I still noticed that, at full graphics settings, the game was quite laggy. So I thought of getting an external graphics card. However, I am wondering if I can get a graphics card that plugs into the laptop's optical drive slot. Believe it or not, I have never used the optical drive on my laptop. Are there graphics cards that plug into the optical drive slot? If so, will they allow my laptop to run a graphics-intensive game without any lag?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am not making myself very clear obviously. You are grasping at straws and conjuring hardware the does not and cannot exist.

No adapter to let you use wifi and eGPU. This would be obvious if you saw what the port looks like. One device at a time. And again you cannot plug video into the DVD port....it cannot tranfer a video signal in any way and lastly there are video adapters that can plug into USB 3.0 but they are very low performance devices that are not capable of gaming. The performance of the internal laptop video card would be much greater. For the last time forget about this; its a non-starter. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Well the laptop is not really built for gaming. It has only the integrated APU graphics running inside the processor itself and has no dedicated memory video chip. 

specs

external graphics cards (eGPUs) do not connect to SATA ports, which are used for storage like hard drives. The DVD drive port is a SATA port and can accept either an optical (DVD) drive or a hard drive with a special adapter caddy. You cannot hook video to it. 

eGPUs can connect to a Thunderbolt port, which is only found on models newer than yours, or to an Expresscard slot only found on laptops older than yours, or possibly in your case to a mini-pcie slot such as the one that your wireless card is connected to. To run an eGPU you need an eGPU dock, a good desktop video card, a desktop power supply and an external monitor. In almost all cases the eGPU does not display on the laptop screen but an external monitor. I have seen this work on laptops similar to yours but it is a big unwieldy setup and there is some risk of damage to the laptop as you have to run this with the laptop significantly disassembled and its internal parts exposed to the elements. 

Post back if you wish to discuss further and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Is it possible to use an external adapter for a graphics card then? Would a simple one for bitcoin mining work for gaming?

HP Recommended

I'm not really sure what you are asking. The eGPU I am describing is an external adapter for a graphics card. 

HP Recommended

Is there some adapter that won't require me to modify the laptop in any way?

HP Recommended

Also, would the laptop be able to use Wi-Fi if the mini mini pcie slot is used?

HP Recommended

No if you take the wifi card out you can't use wifi and the only way for you to do an eGPU is with extreme almost insane disassembly. I am trying to let you know in a very low-key way that you are trying to do something that is only done by the most reckless of the reckless generally teenage boys. There is no simple mainstream solution for you other than a new laptop with graphics adequate to the task you are trying to do with it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information! Maybe there is an adapter that will allow me to use both the Wi-Fi card and the external graphics, or an adapter that allows the graphics card to be plugged into the optical drive? Possibly even an adapter that uses the SD slot? I mainly don't want to use a Wi-Fi USB adapter, as I've noticed that my Bluetooth USB adapters tend to have an unstable connection with the Bluetooth devices. If it's possible to plug the graphics card into a USB 3.0 port, will there still be an improvement in performance?

HP Recommended

I am not making myself very clear obviously. You are grasping at straws and conjuring hardware the does not and cannot exist.

No adapter to let you use wifi and eGPU. This would be obvious if you saw what the port looks like. One device at a time. And again you cannot plug video into the DVD port....it cannot tranfer a video signal in any way and lastly there are video adapters that can plug into USB 3.0 but they are very low performance devices that are not capable of gaming. The performance of the internal laptop video card would be much greater. For the last time forget about this; its a non-starter. 

HP Recommended

Okay thank you for the help! I think I can deal with using a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth USB adapter, and the modifications to the laptop. I have already taken the laptop apart before, so I do know how to carefully modify it... I can easily get rid of the optical drive, as I don't use it. I'll then route the mini PCIe cable through the optical drive bay, and that should work... I think I could also get a Wi-Fi extender with Ethernet ports, and then connect the laptop to the extender, which could work as well...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.