Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

System Model

Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC 0976110000405E00000620180
System Serial Number: 5CD40803VZ
Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor a

2.50 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4200M
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
3072 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)
Hyper-threaded (4 total)

Main Circuit Board b

Board: Hewlett-Packard 1977 96.33
Serial Number: PDWAC028J5Y34K
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
UEFI: Insyde F.23 06/04/2014

Display

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600 [Display adapter]
Generic PnP Monitor (17.1"vis)

Memory Modules c,d

8108 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'Bottom-Slot 1(top)' has 4096 MB (serial number 178B1A24)
Slot 'Bottom-Slot 2(under)' has 4096 MB (serial number 173B1A05)

I have found my laptop above gets very hot when playing World of Tanks and when it does the game will drop fps right down.

As the sound also goes into slow motion may be a CPU issue rather than graphics so I wondered is there anything I can do to reduce this?

Is a discrete graphics card a possibility on this machine. I believe 8gb ram is already maxed out.

Any other suggestions welcomed. I have already turned off backround processes etc as far as I can and play the game at the lowest graphic settings.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No video card upgrades on consumer laptops are not "a thing". There is no place to put any such thing the video is a flat chip soldered to the motherboard. 

I think you are doing about all you can. When you try to run a demanding game on the Intel HD4600 it's going to heat up and the fan is going to kick on. World of Tanks is not super demanding and the HD4600 is DX9 compatible so it runs but the game really wants something a little stronger and that laptop is just going to struggle. They did make a motherboard for it with nVIDIA 950M graphics (I had one a few years ago) but the cost of a motherboard swap will make you think again. And the 950M is not that great of a graphics card anyway. The return on investment is not going to make sense. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

No video card upgrades on consumer laptops are not "a thing". There is no place to put any such thing the video is a flat chip soldered to the motherboard. 

I think you are doing about all you can. When you try to run a demanding game on the Intel HD4600 it's going to heat up and the fan is going to kick on. World of Tanks is not super demanding and the HD4600 is DX9 compatible so it runs but the game really wants something a little stronger and that laptop is just going to struggle. They did make a motherboard for it with nVIDIA 950M graphics (I had one a few years ago) but the cost of a motherboard swap will make you think again. And the 950M is not that great of a graphics card anyway. The return on investment is not going to make sense. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Suspected as much frankly and I have been looking at a replacement but before I laid out many £££ thought it sensible to at least see if there was anything upgradeable on the one I have.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.