Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-ac159nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My daughter's HP laptop model 14-ac159nr (Stream?) has been given issues shortly after we bought it.  The built-in 24 GB drive in this laptop is too small to even update Windows 10 successfully.  It would often hang after login and was extremely slow to the point she could not use it after it never let you login.  I gave her my laptop a year ago and finally got around to troubleshooting this one.

After bootup you get the Windows logon prompt, but it never completes the logon after I enter the username and password..  Running the Startup Menu, it shows me:

Hard disk error

Please run the hard disk test under System Diagnostics

Hard disk 1    (3F1)

F2 System Diagnostics

However, when pressing F2, and selecting the Hard Drive Check -> Quick check or Extensive check options, it says:

"No hard drive installed.  Please check that the power and data cables are connected properly."

I learned that on this laptop you cannot upgrade the hard drive as it is built-in.  Can it be replaced? Any suggestions?

Update: After I posted this message, I was able to login even with the above errors.  Ran a check disk and didn't get any errors, so not sure why the System Diagnostics showed errors earlier.  I did have very little free space and perhaps that could have been it?  I freed up over 1 GB and am updating the BIOS.  May need install a new/updated version of Windows 10.  Still would like to know what folks have to say about the limited space issue on these laptops in terms of workarounds

Thanks,

Pavitra

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@pavitraa Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are getting 3F1 error message.

As you have mentioned 24 GB drive inbuilt space. The Windows 10 operating will take 16GB. The remaining Space is very less.

I would suggest you add a hard drive for your computer.

Your computer supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) SATA hard drives in 9.5-mm (.37-in) and 7.0-mm (.28-in) thicknesses Supports the following hard drives:

● 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm

● 750-GB, 5400-rpm, 9.5-mm

● 500-GB, 5400/7200-rpm, 7.0-mm or 9.5-mm

● 320-GB, 7200-rpm, 7.0-mm or 9.5-mm

As you have stated that now you are not getting the 3F1 error and you are updating the BIOS.

I would suggest you perform the hard drive test one more time and check.

1) Shutdown the computer.  

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.  

3) Press F2 once.  

4) Go to the Component test.  

5) From the list, run the Hard Drive (extensive) test.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello Praveen,

Thank you for your help and suggestions. I have both good news and bad news.

The good news is I don't see any hardware issues as per below actions and their results:

Completed the firmware upgrade.  After rebooting and running HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tests:

System Information: Hard drive:

Type ATA

Model BHT WR202H0032G E70290F5

Capacity: 31 GB

Hard Drive Quick Test: 

Testing Drive: 1

SMART Check: PASSED

Component Check: PASSED

The bad news is after opening the laptop, it is clear there is no standard 2.5" hard disk drive or standard SATA port.  It seems to only have an eMMC 32G drive.  To make matters worse, I couldn't find a SATA interface either unless I'm just not seeing it.  So would like your advise if this particular HP notebook model I have "14-ac159nr" has any capability for HDD upgrade or not.  If so, where is the SATA interface and how can it be upgraded?

Thanks in advance.

Pavitra

HP Recommended

@pavitraa Here's all you need to know about your device: click here to verify,

If you wish to upgrade to a hard drive, check the below image for details:

And visit page. 37 - 38 of Chapter 6 Removal and replacement procedures for Authorized Service Provider ...

(As an upgrade/custom enthusiast I personally love the idea of upgrading the device as well, However, HP recommends that you go easy on it as the device is equipped with parts that perform at its optimal performance and also, the upgradeable parts listed in HP articles are purely for your ease, though the decision to upgrade will be at your own discretion)

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and documentation for my laptop.  It was really very helpful.

I have been able to locate and remove the eMMC drive (4a) on page 24 --- the eMMC drive bracket (4b) although I'm not sure if I need to or even can remove it...seems to be stuck/glued.

It is also good to see on page 24 the same compatible drive information you mentioned.  Seems most SSDs will fit the bill.  However, as my laptop does not have any SSD drive currently (besides the 32GB eMMC drive), my only option seems to be to remove the eMMC drive and replace it with an SSD.  This however, requires me to have this Hard Drive Hardware Kit (part 813510-001 but it looks like from HP Part surfer this is no longer available.

Can you please validate my thoughts and offer any alternatives for this HDD kit?

Thanks,

Pavitra

HP Recommended

@pavitraa

I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the part availability, they should be able to help. 

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.