Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-cc154tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It's an I7 with 8Gigs of ram but too slow cant do anything it takes even along time to boot 

I Purchased this device on the 19th of (Aufgust) this month since then its a trouble to me, made me think why i bought it 

can someone help me with this as i do not not understand that this is how it works or its because of a fault in the device 

i tried installing windows 10 and upgrading drivers to the latest 

I tried resettting device from the recovery drive 

but very very slow, previous I3 i had is faster than this 

I dont find any solution now i cant even return it even though it hasnt been along time 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JoshuaLopez wrote:

1. In task manager Perfomance HDD is almost 100% others are normal

2. it takes alot of time to boot, to get to the logon screen, and also two black screens are appearing before the login screen always for two times one screen comes and going then another it'll be almost a minute then the other then after that the login screen still very slow alot of time time to get to the desktop

3. have Y ou got any idea what i should do for this as a sa olution 

4. processor is 8550U is it capable of handling adobe applications such as after effects / dreamweaver etc, since its Ultra power saving 

5. and the other thing is its 1.8Ghz (Is it capable of running big applications)

1. That is typical when Windows Update is running, both before the required restart, and after the restart.

From that "Performance" tab, click to launch the "Process Monitor", and drill-down on the "Disk" section, to see which process is reading/writing which files.  Note that your anti-virus software has "real-time-protection" -- virus-scanning every file that Windows Update is writing to your disk-drive.

2. See #1 -- Windows Update is "finishing-up" after the restart.

3. Keep running Windows Update until it reports that your computer is up-to-date.  After that, your HDD usage will be minimal.

4. Yes.  When I am using DreamWeaver, most of the time, I am typing & editing.  Such tasks literally take "one-percent" of the processor's power.

5. With 4 cores and 2 threads per core, it is quite capable.  Compare to entering a fast-food outlet, and seeing 4 fully-trained employees behind the counter, each of 4 with a trainee at their side. That's a lot of "service" that can be provided to the customers.

Note: 7-8550U (1.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

You have much more than a processor that maxes-out at 1.8 Ghz.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JoshuaLopez wrote:

1. It's an I7 with 8Gigs of ram

2. but too slow can t do anything it takes even al ong time to boot 

3. I purchased this device on the 19th of August this month

4. since then its a trouble to me, made me think why i bought it 

5. can someone help me with this as i do not not understand that this is how it works

6. or its because of a fault in the device 

7. I tried installing windows 10 and upgrading drivers to the latest 

8. I tried reset tting device from the recovery drive 

9. but very very slow, previous I3 i had is faster than this 

10. I don t find any solution now i can t even return it even though it hasn t been al ong time 

1. Your computer: HP Pavilion - 15-cc154tx Product Specifications

state:

Product number: 3GG77PA
Product name: HP Pavilion - 15-cc154tx
Microprocessor: Intel® Core™ i7-8550U (1.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)
Memory, standard: 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
Video graphics: •NVIDIA® GeForce® MX130 (4 GB DDR3 dedicated)
Hard drive: 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA

The i7 has 4 cores, with 2 threads per core.  So, that should be very fast.

DDR4 is the newest generation of RAM.  So, that should be very fast.

Having 8 GB of RAM is "double" what a typical Windows 10 system has.

With 4GB of its own RAM, the video should be fast.

Your disk-drive is slower than a 7200 RPM disk-drive, and is much slower than a SSD (Solid State Device).

2. How long does it take, when it has an Internet connection?

How long does it take, when it has the Ethernet cable is not connected?

How long does it take, when you have disabled its wireless adapter?

3. The original HP Warranty is still valid.  You are entitled to contact HP Support, for official assistance.

This is a "user-to-user" forum, not a path to contact HP.

4. Note that any "freshly-unboxed" computer is going to run Windows Update, to apply many fixes & security updates, including the "March 2018" release of Windows 10, if the computer was factory-loaded with an earlier release of Windows 10.  Running Windows Update can be "slow", especially with your "slow" disk-drive.

5. OK.

6. Have you launched the HP Hardware Diagnostics, to test for any fault in the device?

Any "slowness" of the disk-drive is not a "fault".

7. Trying to re-install Windows 10 and upgrading drivers will keep the disk-drive (and your Internet connection) quite busy, until you are told to reboot, after all the updates have been applied.

8. Trying to reset the device from the recovery drive forces another run of Windows Update.

9. Yes, a fully-updated i3-based computer will be faster than your computer, until Windows Update has completed.

What is the speed of the disk-drive in that i3-based computer? 5400? 7200? SSD?

10. Posting here is a good way to find a solution.

Measure, measure, measure.

Open the Windows "Task Manager", and switch to its "Performance" tab.

What percentage of each resource is being consumed, by Windows Update?

Near the bottom of that "Performance" tab, click to open "Resource Monitor" -- this will give much more detail about the resources being consumed by each component.  Tell us what you see.

My guess is that your "slow" disk-drive is the primary "bottle-neck".

What Internet download speed are you paying your Internet Service Provider to get?  5 Mbit/second? 10? 25? 50? 100? 150? 300?

Whatever speed could also be a "bottle-neck".

I think that after Windows Update has completed, and you have rebooted, your computer will be much faster.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

HP Recommended

Yeah in task manager Perfomance HDD is almost 100% others are normal but it takes alot of time to boot, to get to the logon screen, and also two black screens are appearing before the login screen always for two times one screen comes and going then another it'll be almost a minute then the other then after that the login screen still very slow alot of time time to get to the desktop

have ou got any idea what i should do for this as a saolution 

and also if you can advice me on this

processor is 8550U is it capable of handling adobe applications such as after effects / dreamweaver etc, since its Ultra power saving 

and the other thing is its 1.8Ghz (Is it capable of running big applications)

HP Recommended

@JoshuaLopez wrote:

1. In task manager Perfomance HDD is almost 100% others are normal

2. it takes alot of time to boot, to get to the logon screen, and also two black screens are appearing before the login screen always for two times one screen comes and going then another it'll be almost a minute then the other then after that the login screen still very slow alot of time time to get to the desktop

3. have Y ou got any idea what i should do for this as a sa olution 

4. processor is 8550U is it capable of handling adobe applications such as after effects / dreamweaver etc, since its Ultra power saving 

5. and the other thing is its 1.8Ghz (Is it capable of running big applications)

1. That is typical when Windows Update is running, both before the required restart, and after the restart.

From that "Performance" tab, click to launch the "Process Monitor", and drill-down on the "Disk" section, to see which process is reading/writing which files.  Note that your anti-virus software has "real-time-protection" -- virus-scanning every file that Windows Update is writing to your disk-drive.

2. See #1 -- Windows Update is "finishing-up" after the restart.

3. Keep running Windows Update until it reports that your computer is up-to-date.  After that, your HDD usage will be minimal.

4. Yes.  When I am using DreamWeaver, most of the time, I am typing & editing.  Such tasks literally take "one-percent" of the processor's power.

5. With 4 cores and 2 threads per core, it is quite capable.  Compare to entering a fast-food outlet, and seeing 4 fully-trained employees behind the counter, each of 4 with a trainee at their side. That's a lot of "service" that can be provided to the customers.

Note: 7-8550U (1.8 GHz base frequency, up to 4 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology)

You have much more than a processor that maxes-out at 1.8 Ghz.

HP Recommended

Hi

Thank you for your effort to clarify and to provide me a solution with regards to some issues i had in great extents 

I follwed your steps and now my laptop is up to date now its working fine everything 

I just restarted after several installations and it boots fast HDD / RAM / CPU Everything is normal

Thanks alot indeed

as well as that I still do have a doubt My laptop has a Nvidia MX130 4GB graphics is it for the purpose of playing games or for vidio editing and stuffs like that 

thanks in advance 

HP Recommended

@JoshuaLopez wrote:

Now my laptop is up to date now its working fine everything.

I still do have a doubt My laptop has a Nvidia MX130 4GB graphics is it for the purpose of playing games or for video editing and stuffs like that.

Good to hear that it is now performing optimally.

A high-end graphics adapter is best-used for playing games -- where the image changes rapidly -- or when playing video content -- again, where the image changes rapidly. 

Video-editing is more "stop-and-start" to find exactly where to mark a "cut" -- play a fraction of a second of content, pause the video-stream, take a few seconds to mark the cut-point. Repeat.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.