Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I apologize for asking about such an old computer, and possibly duplicating the question, but I'm at my wit's end!

Quite a few years ago I bought an HP 15 Notebook, which I believe had Win. 8 installed. It worked fine, but I ended up hardy ever using it. Several years ago I got it back out, installed all the required updates, and then installed Win. 10.

After that time the computer has been very slow; I'm not certain if the Win. update was the issue. That said, I've been frustrated trying to get the computer to run properly, and wanted to give it one last try!

Here's where I am now.....

PLENTY of room on the main C: drive, and about 10-20% free on the 😧 Recovery drive

Running Win. 10 Version 22H2 Build 19045.2604, and I believe it's the 64 bit version

Eliminated all unnecessary apps from the C: drive and startup menu

Ran Quick Start test and all checked out OK

The "slowness" does not appear to occur "within" an application (i.e. Excel, Outlook, etc.), but is apparent moving in the computer's menu items.

Thanks in advance! Michael

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

When was the last time you cleared the Temp files?

Never let apps or programs install in the Recovery partition!

It would have helped if you had identified your notebook with an HP or product SKU.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

My apologies for not providing the required information...

I've cleared the TEMP files during each attempt to resolve this problem, and just did another clearing.

I never allow app's to be on the Recovery Drive.

The computer's case info. is: Serial # [Personal Information Removed], Model: 15 - 1018dx, Product: J9M32UA#ABA

Thank you! Michael

HP Recommended

No worries.  We see it all the time.

From the HP Product Content Browser resources available to me, I see that the notebook came to market between 2014-15.

Considering that, I would, for troubleshooting purposes:

Boot from a USB based Linux OS (Ubuntu is an easy one to use) to see just how perceptibly fast the boot and OS operation is. If you need a link to a Linux USB creation tool just ask. I like RUFUS for that.

Then  save everything that you consider important to an external drive'

Perform a clean installation of an OS of your choice.

It is unfortunate that finding a recovery disk or flash drive with Windows 8.1 is very unlikely. You can purchase a license  activation key online for @  $20.00 USD . If you need a link to the vendor source just let me know. 

I know yours has an Intel® Core™ i3-4030U processor and 6 GB of installed memory. A Core™ i3-4030U will never be a high performer. 

If the steps  above did not make it any more useful it may be time to put the old faithful notebook out to pasture. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.