Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15g094sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi

I have a HP 15g094sa and I recently repaired screen hinges.

While doing so I accidentally damaged the power switch ribbon cable so it wouldn't power on. 

Upon buying a new power button board and fitting the laptop still won't work. 

When the ribbon cable is pushed into  the mobo the laptop comes on however it then shorts out within seconds. 
If after doing the above I remove the power button cable quickly the laptop stays on. It seems like a short or grounding issue but cant see anything out of place.

I have tried 2 new power buttons and it doesn't resolve the issue. 

https://youtu.be/Sb71tZee1_k

Many Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What exactly do you mean by "I have tried 2 new power buttons"?

From your description of the issue, it would appear that you damaged the ribbon cable or the ZIF connector it plugs into.

If you replaced the ribbon cable with an original HP part number unit and it did not resolve the issue, that would mean that you damaged the ZIF connector.  Considering that this issue was the result of a somewhat botched hinge repair, it would not seem likely that you have the capability of desoldering/removing and replacing the appropriate ZIF connector on the system board. It would involve micro soldering and most people just don't have the skill set required. That means that the repair would likely have to be outsourced to HP or a notebook shop. It is going to be an expensive repair.

Sorry, but there is no miracle solution that anyone here can provide for you. 

Use a magnifying glass to inspect the ZIF connector that the power connector ribbon cable plugs into to verify my suspicion on the damage that is causing the issue.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi, I have exactly the same problem - the power button ribbon on my 15-g094sa snagged as I was removing the keyboard surround. I have purchased replacement buttons, but they all power the computer off when connected, and will not start.

Did you have any luck in fixing this issue? I'm wondering whether a new part from HP would solve it.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hi Rangiebreaker,

You have to be very careful in ordering a power button. All the specifications upon the component are important. For example, a couple of days ago  i ordered a power button for my hp laptop, 15-r series. Apparently i had missed a very specific detail which was written on the power button ribbon (AWM 20706) and the laptop couldn't start. Maybe you should check if something similar has happened to you

HP Recommended

The HP part number for the power button board is 749650-001.

The source for that is the HP PartSurfer. See the following link for parts info on parts that you can order for your notebook.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?type=PROD&SearchText=J5B55EA

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.