Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17-y002ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi peoples and experts,

is it possible to do msata or M.2 at this laptop?

or just normal ssd?

and do i need a adapter or something? if yes could you pls provide me with an amazon link.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes a 2.5 inch SATA SSD is the same outside as a hard drive: same size, location of mounting holes and SATA connections so is a drop in replacement for a 2.5 inch mechanical hard drive. I have never been a fan of the Crucial MX series of SSDs but it should be OK. 

Yes in this case on this model there is one storage bay for hard disk/SSD...no way to have dual storage unless you use an optical (DVD) bay adapter which I do not recommend. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

This laptop has no M.2 or mSATA slot. It has the ability to accept a SATA M.2 SSD but only by using an adapter plate that fits in the same bay where a 2.5 inch SATA SSD would go. This type of arrangement offers no advantages: it is no faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. So if you replace your 2.5 inch SATA hard drive with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD you need no new hardware; the caddy and cable that supports a hard drive will also work with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. 

https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-MZ-76E1T0B-EU-interne-schwarz/dp/B078WST5RK/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_de_DE=%C3%...

See pages 39-43 of the Manual for "how to". 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer,

so i need no adapter or anything else to replase the 2,5 harddisk? Cuz the the Harddisk is damaged and i need to order fast the SSD. So there is only 1 place for a Disk? I can only put in 1 Harddisk or 1 SSD? is this corecct?

Can i use this one too without problems?

https://www.amazon.de/Crucial-MX500-CT250MX500SSD1-Internes-NAND/dp/B0784SLQM6/ref=sr_1_13?__mk_de_D...

HP Recommended

Yes a 2.5 inch SATA SSD is the same outside as a hard drive: same size, location of mounting holes and SATA connections so is a drop in replacement for a 2.5 inch mechanical hard drive. I have never been a fan of the Crucial MX series of SSDs but it should be OK. 

Yes in this case on this model there is one storage bay for hard disk/SSD...no way to have dual storage unless you use an optical (DVD) bay adapter which I do not recommend. 

HP Recommended

Thankk you very much @Huffer for your professionell Answers.

I will order now the Samsung but with 500gb. 500gb is enough storage cuz i have an usb 3.0 extern Hard Disk for mass Storage.

Thank you and have a nice week @huffer

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.