Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 255 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have bought an HP 255 G4 notebook here in Serbia. It was very slow so I decided to upgrade the ram to 8GB 2133MHz maybe that will help a little. But unfortunately it did not help, then I reinstalled the windows too, but the situation is the same. I don't know why is this notebook so slow, it has a 1,4 GHz dual core cpu with 1MB cache, and now 8GB ram. Even the browser is opening slowly, this pc is just barely usable. Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

What is your 255 G4 ? Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Many HP 255 G4 machines are low end laptops and they will cost much, much, much more to get a SMALL improvemnt. Not all HP 255 G4 laptops are the same.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello sir! Thank you kindly for your reply.
Serial: [Personal Information Removed]
Product: N0Z83EA#AKQ

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry I can't read all

http://rezerv-chita.ru/brand/hp/3941-noutbuk-hp-255-n0z83ea-amd-e1-6015-144g500g156hd-agint-amd-rade...

But I can see it uses

• a low end AMD E1 6015 CPU,
  • with 4GB of DDR3 RAM,
  • weak AMD Radeon R2 graphics,
  • slow 500GB of 5400rpm HDD ...

It short, it uses slow CPU, week video card, slow HDD. What more do you expect ? I won't run fast with its specs.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I know that its not a fast pc. But it shouldn't take like 30 seconds to load up a chrome browser with 4 tabs

HP Recommended

You could get a SSD. That will speed things up a bit. Best of all, if you get a different laptop, you can take it out and use it in the new one.

Personally, I find all windows painfully slow. I use linux Mint on my machines.
This machine is a g4-1125dx, and goes from power-off to browsing internet in about 30 seconds. When I tried windows on it, it took almost four minutes, even with the SSD.

HP Recommended

Yes, I'm planning to buy an SSD, but I don't have the money for it right now. Thank you for your answer sir.

HP Recommended

Now writing from my HP 2000-299WM...

I've found many on ebay and amazon for very reasonable prices.

Generally, an SSD with a smaller capacity works well enough, and they're cheaper than the larger ones. I've been using a 120GB drive in this, and have all kinds of audio, video, and photo files, and never run out of room. But then again, I also got some larger external drives on ebay and amazon for great prices, and I do backups regularly.

Most smaller drives, like this 120GB, run around $50 or so. Newegg is a good seller (they have their own website where you can shop.) I've had good dealings with them.

And as I mentioned before, I run Linux. I haven't used windows on my own computers in years. My wife has it, and I use it at work, so I am familiar with it - but to run the newer windows, you really do need a computer that was designed to run it. Upgrading to a newer version can make it run very slow; windows tries to use the most current hardware to its maximum potential, and older machines have a hard time handling it.

New laptops are getting so cheap nowadays that it might just pay to get a good one, and use the older ones as backup in case of a crash. I have about four that just sit in the closet (including one that runs windows vista) because they're older and not as capable, but they are there in case this one breaks.
I found this laptop in a trash can. When I took it home and tried it out, it had windows 7 on it, but had bad drivers and such, so it didn't work. I stuck a new drive in it and installed Linux Mint, and it worked beautifully. I've had it for three years, never upgraded any hardware except the disk drive, and had very few problems with it. (Mostly involving the wi-fi, but those were easy fixes.) I've also had to replace the battery, since it was old and overused, and added an external mouse. But those don't help performance; They're just for routine maintenance and convenience.

HP Recommended

Hello BachMetal. I'm wondering if you ever found a way to improve your computer's poor performance. My nephew also has an HP 255 G4 notebook, the 15-af141dx, and its performance is shockingly bad. I have a much older HP notebook that was also a low-end, inexpensive computer, and it runs much faster. These computers are relatively new, so they should be able to perform basic tasks at reasonable speeds, as much older low-end computers still can do to this day.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.