Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 255 G8 Notebook PC (347S4AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Question about HP 255 G8 laptop.

I decided to test the Ryzen 5 5500U CPU under load and watch the temperature and frequency change. And I saw the following picture, which most likely speaks of CPU throttling. The chart below shows the areas that exactly happened in this section of the chart:

The charger is connected.

1) Launched a stress test in CPU-Z (similarly if run in Aida itself).

The frequency rises to the maximum 4 GHz, the temperature jumps sharply to ~82°, then the cooler starts to spin up... The frequency abruptly drops to the operating 2 GHz and the temperature also drops. The cooler starts to work quietly.

Then everything is repeated in a circle.

2) Here I disconnected the laptop from the power supply and when running on battery power, it lowered the frequency of ~ 3 GHz and there were no jumps. The temperature was also stable.

3) Here I turned on the power saving mode on Windows and the frequency was limited to ~ 1.6 GHz. Everything is okay.

4) turned off energy saving.

5) connected the power. Surprisingly, the frequency remained ~3 GHz (as if from a battery) and did not try to rise higher. Everything is stable.

6) I stopped the stress test for a minute and resumed it again. Again, the same picture as in (1) with a constantly jumping frequency.

Perhaps the cooling cannot cope with the frequency of 4 GHz and constantly resets it to the working 2.1 GHz. But with a frequency of ~ 3 GHz, there are no problems, it works stably.

It seems to me that the cooler somehow reacts slowly to increasing the frequency. While it spins up and starts to cool, the CPU will already drop the frequency to the working one.

Someone like? Is this normal CPU operation for a laptop or is there a problem?

UPD: not at 98-100% CPU load, it can operate at frequencies of 3.5 GHz and not reduce the frequency. Since the temperature does not exceed the permissible.

IMG_20220701_185420_913.jpg

IMG_20220701_185427_147.jpg

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Is your notebook set to the default recommended by HP  balanced power option?

Change it to performance to see if you note a difference.

Never mind about the performance setting.

I saw and replied to your other thread.

What you did with the stress test is what caused the lack of image to display on the notebook's display.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.