Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Probook 440 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a Probook 440 G3 und the stock 256 GB SSD attached to the M.2 Slot; the 2,5" slot is empty. I want to upgrade since I am running out of disk space. Can I just buy any 2,5" SSD? Will a Crucial BX500 1 TB fit or do I need an adapter since the slot is currently empty?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

See p. 35. The 2.5 inch HDD or SSD plugs directly into the motherboard so no adapter cable needed. But the disk should be mounted in a sled/caddy like this:

Hard Drive Hardware Kit, includes: 826382-001
(2) Hard drive bracket
Screws (not illustrated)

See p. 24.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-Ersatzteil-HDD-Hardware-Kit-f-diverse-HP-Probook-430-G3-440-G3-826382-001...

Das Geraet ist leider etwas teuer.

If you use an SSD you can get by without a sled/caddy since there are no moving parts. Double sided tape would keep the SSD from moving around in the slot and also perhaps a pice of foam rubber as a shim. Crucial SSDs have kind of a bad history with HP laptops but generally any SATA 2.5 inch SSD would work and yes there is no hardware capacity max so a 1 or even 2 TB would be fine. If you are just using it for storage a 7200 rpm hard drive would be OK but if you have to also get the caddy you might as well just get an SSD as prices are fairly reasonable now. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual 

See p. 35. The 2.5 inch HDD or SSD plugs directly into the motherboard so no adapter cable needed. But the disk should be mounted in a sled/caddy like this:

Hard Drive Hardware Kit, includes: 826382-001
(2) Hard drive bracket
Screws (not illustrated)

See p. 24.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP-Ersatzteil-HDD-Hardware-Kit-f-diverse-HP-Probook-430-G3-440-G3-826382-001...

Das Geraet ist leider etwas teuer.

If you use an SSD you can get by without a sled/caddy since there are no moving parts. Double sided tape would keep the SSD from moving around in the slot and also perhaps a pice of foam rubber as a shim. Crucial SSDs have kind of a bad history with HP laptops but generally any SATA 2.5 inch SSD would work and yes there is no hardware capacity max so a 1 or even 2 TB would be fine. If you are just using it for storage a 7200 rpm hard drive would be OK but if you have to also get the caddy you might as well just get an SSD as prices are fairly reasonable now. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.