Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 625 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi, my name is Cannon and I'm here for the fixing of a friends' laptop. So, in short the issue I'm having is only being able to use 2.74 GB of RAM out of 4GB of potential (technically 8 GB, but I'm on 32 bit). Here are my specs.

Spoiler
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/1/2019, 12:50:15
Machine name: JENN-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170913-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP 625
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II P340 Dual-Core Processor (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2810MB RAM
Page File: 2420MB used, 8387MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Things I've tried

Spoiler
Tried using PAE to maximize my memory usage
Unchecked memory in boot tab
BIOS Settings (Nothing there related to memory)
Changed paging file
Updated Windows
Updated BIOS
Updated GPU

Still no solution I've found! Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is not really that horrible, and since you already tried the msconfig trick, there isn't anything else you can do.

Most of the missing 1.26 GB went to the onboard graphics memory.

Why don't you just install W7 x64, so you can maximize the memory usage?

If you don't have a disk, and you have the 25 character W7 product key off the sticker on the notebook, you can make your own.

Click on the Windows ISO Downloader.exe link to download the tool to create the W7 ISO file download.

Select the Windows COEM ISO file download for the version of W7 the product key is good for.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

I have zipped up and attached the Microsoft utility below, that will allow you to either put the file on a USB flash drive or burn it to a DVD.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page.

If the Microsoft tool doesn't work to burn a DVD, use this free DVD burning software to burn the ISO file to a DVD.

Select the "Burn ISO file option."   Burn the DVD at the slowest possible speed you can to get a strong burn.

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/download

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

That is not really that horrible, and since you already tried the msconfig trick, there isn't anything else you can do.

Most of the missing 1.26 GB went to the onboard graphics memory.

Why don't you just install W7 x64, so you can maximize the memory usage?

If you don't have a disk, and you have the 25 character W7 product key off the sticker on the notebook, you can make your own.

Click on the Windows ISO Downloader.exe link to download the tool to create the W7 ISO file download.

Select the Windows COEM ISO file download for the version of W7 the product key is good for.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-downl...

I have zipped up and attached the Microsoft utility below, that will allow you to either put the file on a USB flash drive or burn it to a DVD.

Then you can install the drivers and available software you need from your PC's support page.

If the Microsoft tool doesn't work to burn a DVD, use this free DVD burning software to burn the ISO file to a DVD.

Select the "Burn ISO file option."   Burn the DVD at the slowest possible speed you can to get a strong burn.

https://cdburnerxp.se/en/download

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.