Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I currently own an HP 635 notebook PC with an AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 1.65GHz processor. I would like to buy a new processor to improve my gaming experience 🙂 But do not know if it is compatible... 

I am willing to buy the AMD Phenom II N660 3 GHz Dual-Core (HMN660DCR23GM) Processor...

Will it be compatible? And will my PC be able to support it?

Thanks in advance!

This processor is listed on page 4 of this PDF file about the HP 635 (under standard features): http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13969_div/13969_div.PDF

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Don't shoot the messenger, but upgrading to that processor would also require replacing the motherboard.

Your Service Manual

See page 21.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Don't shoot the messenger, but upgrading to that processor would also require replacing the motherboard.

Your Service Manual

See page 21.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply! What motherboard should I use if I want to use this processor?

What do you mean by don't shoot the messenger...

HP Recommended

When I have to give bad news it is sometimes not accepted too well but you are an exception to that. The Manual linked above has the Part No. for the motherboard you want. However, replacing a motherboard and processor will be an economic train wreck and you are going to be better selling your laptop and buying one with the graphics capabilities you really want.

HP Recommended

I have hp 635 amd E-300  and i bought E2-2000 processor for upgrade is this going to work.

tnx

HP Recommended

Ask first and then buy upgrade parts. No the advice is still the same 3 years later. The E series processors are soldered to the motherboard. 

You cannot remove the processor and replace it with anything different. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.