Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8540w

After shutting down a few days ago (successfully...

on start up today...

HP 8540w elitebook wont boot up Stops with the HP LOGO on the screen...

How can I get this to boot up?

Celebr82, Celebr82@gmail.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Tap esc then F10 to get into BIOS setup as you power on. Find diagnostics and test the hard drive. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Tap esc then F10 to get into BIOS setup as you power on. Find diagnostics and test the hard drive. 

HP Recommended

When I power up and hit the escape key it does highlight on the screen “press the escape key for start up menu” when I try to hit F 10 nothing happens it just has the same highlight of that “press the escape key for start up menu” and it won’t do anything else,  I can’t get it to go anywhere from just highlighting that phrase…

I've tried holding down the power button and counting 12 seconds. Then hit power again to start and press F11 but again no response.

I also tried power down then count to 21 seconds, then power up and try ESC key and when it highlights it I then tried 2 different ways - pushing second button (1 for ESC and 1 for enter).

Just can’t seem to get past highlighting “Press the ESC key for startup menu”.

Celebr82, Celebr82@gmail.com
HP Recommended

Try it with a usb keyboard but it is not looking good. Guessing a motherboard issue. Try removing RAM except one module and the hard drive. See what happens then. Swap memory modules then. If none of this makes it behave differently I would say she has reached the end of service life. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.