Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 13 d006na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop has extreme battery brain when fully turned off. 

I have tried every fix that hp suggested, update bios/software, battery diagnostics, disable usb charging, disable fast start/sleep, registry edits, etc.

I now request that someone sends me the sphinx fix that apparently has helped the hundreds of other people with the same issue as mine.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@D1080 Welcome to HP Forums Community!

To resolve this issue download and install the following SoftPaqs to update the graphic driver and BIOS.

1. Update the graphics driver.

2. Update the BIOS.

NOTE: 

Microsoft has released the graphics driver through Critical Windows Update on 23rd August 2018. IRST driver will show as installed in Windows Update history after Windows Update is completed.

(The image was supposed to serve as an example, its been removed as its creating confusion)

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Completely the wrong issue for the wrong laptop. My laptop doesn't even have amd. Not useful solution.

HP Recommended

@D1080 I understand the image has caused a certain level of confusion as it was only meant to serve as an example, once the BIOS and graphics driver is updated,

the issue should be resolved, if not, please follow the steps mentioned in this link: Click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Everything is updated and the problem persists. The problem is battery drain when the laptop is completely off. 

HP Recommended

@D1080 I suggest you perform  a hard reset: Click here for steps,

When done, you may want to check with an alternate power cord/adapter as it could be a malfunction that's causing this issue to occur, here's what you could do:

If the charger shows inconsistent power output values, I would suggest that you step into Best Buy or staples and try with a different adapter and that should isolate the issue to the adapter or the computer.

Please try a different battery on the unit as well. 

Do not buy the battery and adapter. It is only for testing.

Use spare ones that they may have. If it works correctly, then you could think of buying it.

Meanwhile, also, try the below:

Steps to uninstall the ACPI drivers

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Batteries>then select the s drivers and right-click on it and uninstall all battery drivers.

Then restart the computer and check again.

Link for battery testing and calibration

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tests show the battery and charger are OK.

The driver reset doesn't do anything.

HP Recommended

@D1080 I suggest you create a new user account and check if that helps,

If the issue persists, please backup all personal information and try a system restore, if no restore points are available, you may want to reinstall the windows to fix corruption within the OS to resolve the issue: Click here for instructions.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've done a full wipe/reinstall a while back and it did nothing.

There are two things: Either my laptop is not shutting down 100%, so it is draining when I think it is off.

Or, the laptop is shutting down fully, and HP's bios/firmware/motherboard sucks (battery).

I've tried a few registry tweaks/disabling all sleep states.

I just tried, and my laptop will not boot unless the charger is plugged in (when not plugged in, the power button does nothing). But, when it starts up I can see there is 0% battery drain!!! Which is what I want.

So the question is, how can I make sure my laptop is shutting down 100% completely (I don't care about boot times, I just want the laptop to use no battery when it is "off") and that lets me turn it on when not plugged in.

HP Recommended

@D1080 If the reinstallation was done using the HP Recovery media and yet the issue persists, I suggest you run an extensive hardware test to identify the issue and get back to us with the results:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.