Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 14-DB0023DX
Chrome OS

I have gone through all of the troubleshooting and still cant figure out the exact problem. It takes 10+ hrs to charge 40% and the issue just began one day out of the blue. There are two charging ports one is slowly working and the other isn't. I have tried different chargers and outlets, done an ec reset, opened it up and disconnected the battery for a period of time then reconnected, and run battery diagnostics in crosh. The amber charging light is lit up and not flashing, the diagnostics look good ie battery health is 95.28% discharges .02% in 10 seconds, however it shows ac connected yet battery discharging albeit slowly. My only resort left is to change the charging port however with a port on each side I assume that they both wouldn't go out on the same day and that they wouldn't impact each other. One isn't working at all and the other is very slow to charge only when the comp is off. Is this be a bigger problem than the port itself such as the motherboard or will changing the charging port possibly fix the problem? Any ideas.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This support is absolutely awful. I received a bot for chat support and it couldn't  understand what i was asking. As for replacing one or both of the c usb power ports in the laptop this is going to require removal of the previous unit which requires heating up the soldering material and then resoldering the new unit in. How both power ports stopped working is beyond me.

Fortunately I have the solution to this problem which is to buy another brand. I have 3 hp laptops and 2 hp printers. 2 of my hp laptops I've been extremely unhappy with the one that is a few months old works for now but at this point I'm sick of HP. I've been happy with Samsung, Dell, and Lenovo all of which I currently own as well.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@rjstream

I reviewed your post and I understand that the battery is charging slowly.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Remove external devices

If the Chromebook does not start, remove any USB devices, and remove memory cards from the card reader slot. Disconnect all non-essential devices including external hard drives and other similar devices.

After you have removed all external devices, turn on the Chromebook.

• If the computer starts, reconnect devices one at a time, and restart the Chromebook each time you connect another device to figure out which device is causing the problem. You are done.

• If the unit still does not start or exhibits the same problem, go to the next step to perform a hard reset.

Step 2: Perform a hard reset

A hard or forced reset erases all information in the computer memory. This forces the system to clear and reestablish the software connections between the BIOS and the hardware.

A hard reset does not remove any local files or settings.

1. Press the power button  and refresh  button for five seconds. The computer turns off, and then turns on again.

2. If necessary, press power button again to turn on the laptop.

3. If the issue persists, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Perform a system recovery

A system recovery completely erases any local files or settings and returns the computer to its original factory-shipped state.

• If a hard reset does not resolve your issue OR your Chromebook shows the error message Chrome OS is missing or damaged, you might need to perform a system recovery. For detailed instructions go to Chromebook Help Center and search for Recover your Chromebook.

Chrome OS is missing or damaged

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Fossette,

Thanks for the response. I did all of these things before posting. I don't have any external connections, I've performed a hard reset, and a factory reset to no avail. I've gone through all software troubleshooting I can think of which leaves either a software reset or diagnostic which I haven't thought of or a hardware issue that needs to be resolved.  It's been 13 months since I purchased the Chromebook so the hardware shouldn't be failing this quickly. Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

@rjstream

I recommend you update the Chrome OS following the below steps and check if it helps.

1. Click on the settings tray in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
  2. Click on About Chrome OS on the bottom of the left column.
  3. Select the Check for updates option.
  4. Once the update finishes downloading, click Restart.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed your instructions but the OS is up to date.

HP Recommended

It looks like there is no viable solution presented. What frustrates me is this is a 13 mo old laptop just past the warranty expiration. I believe it's a hardware issue and feel like it was built poorly. My next step is to replace the internal charging port to see if that works. I will keep you all posted if/when this is complete and if it worked.

HP Recommended

@rjstream

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This support is absolutely awful. I received a bot for chat support and it couldn't  understand what i was asking. As for replacing one or both of the c usb power ports in the laptop this is going to require removal of the previous unit which requires heating up the soldering material and then resoldering the new unit in. How both power ports stopped working is beyond me.

Fortunately I have the solution to this problem which is to buy another brand. I have 3 hp laptops and 2 hp printers. 2 of my hp laptops I've been extremely unhappy with the one that is a few months old works for now but at this point I'm sick of HP. I've been happy with Samsung, Dell, and Lenovo all of which I currently own as well.

HP Recommended

@rjstream

Help me with your region (Country) in a private message and I will share the contact details.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.