Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the tip on Win10 forums and sorry for long delay on reply. Spent the following week getting rid of a very persistent Yahoo browser hijack and the week after that inching forward on manual install of Win10. Manual install kept failing at various stages but managed to progressively resolve each issue that came up during that week, then had to suspend activities for past 2 weeks due to a work trip to US.

However, upon return a couple of days ago switched the laptop on again to continue troubleshooting and lo and behold the normal pre-registered Win10 auto install stared up of its own accord and completed flawlessly !!! Go figure that 🙂 

Bizarely it recognised the X700 graphics card natively and I didn't even need to change that. The only noteworthy issue was that it changed the regional settings to US but of course that was a breeze to sort out so I'm now up and running with a Win10 machine.

Thanks again for your help on this long running saga, much appreciated.

Warmest regards.

George

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, George.

That is great news and thanks for letting us know that W10 works on your machine too.

Best Regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

I know that this is kind of old, but could you please explain the processs of installing windows 10? I have the same exact computer and i am having the same issue with ati mobility radeon x700. Please Help me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.