Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-2142sl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I'm looking forward to upgrade my laptop performace and I'll like to install a new CPU. My grphic card is the GT 320M, ANDI've already installed 8gb ram and SSD drive. 

Anyone could help me to understand if I can install an i7-940xm cpu? I think the best performance and fully compatible cpu should be the i7-640m, but I'd like to make the best choice to keep performance to the top.

Thank you for your support.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@m00dy58

Below is the test and supported processer for your notebook.

HP doesn't recommend upgrading, if you wish to do it, you may at your own discretion.

Refer to this document: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01860375 for Maintenance and Service Guide.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@m00dy58

Below is the test and supported processer for your notebook.

HP doesn't recommend upgrading, if you wish to do it, you may at your own discretion.

Refer to this document: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01860375 for Maintenance and Service Guide.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for joining the HP Community.

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Dear Raj,

thank you for your support at first. What about the cpu i7-640m? I think it could be compatible as well, and I think it could have best perfomance since the 820qm.

Why the cpu upgrade is not recommended?

Best regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can upgrade the CPU but I don't think you get much performance from it. The best upgrade was the ssd and memory but the cpu won't make any difference. You can't upgrade the vga no matter what because it's a part of the motherboard. Be aware that the hardware is the first Intel generation of the Core iX series called Nehalem not designed for running Windows 10. You may have some driver issues when Microsoft drop support for it. 

Asus ROG STRIX G16 Manjaro Xfce
HP Touchpad provided by HP
HP Microserver Gen8 10TB Debian Server

*Please, help other users with the same issue by marking your solved topics as "Accept as Solution"*
HP Recommended

Hi Pepe,

thank you for your support and your clarifications.

What about i7-640m compatibility' So I can consider to upgrade or not, probably 640m could give best performance if upgrade goes well.

Keep in touch

HP Recommended

@Raj1788

I'd like to inform you that I'm writing from my laptop with upgraded CPU. 

I decide to install an i7-820qm, according to those tested by HP. Even if I already installed 2 ssd and 8gb of ram, I decide to upgrade the cpu cause I need to reduce rendering times.

BTW if anyone wants to upgrade, it's not impossible to do if you made this operation before on other PC. It's more difficult than a desktop pc, but the operation is quite similar.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.