Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all!

I have an old HP Pavilion DV6 3036 ES which, about 2 years ago when I plugged in the adaptor, turn off never to turn on again. Recently, after getting it out of the wardrobe I decided to switch it on, on the off chance that it actually worked. Which it did, for a while. And then it died again. It seems to have an intermittent fault somewhere on the motherboard. I have tried the hard reset (holding power switch down), have changed the power pack and have changed the charging port. Nothing has worked. I think it is one of the capacitors, I have changed 1 of them at it seemed to work again but then after about 10 powering on cycles it died again.

Anyway, I will cut to the chase.

The spec of my laptop is:

Pavilion DV6 3035es 

Processor I7-720QM
Motherboard Serial No.: 615278-001 (DA0LX6MB6G1)

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics, 1024-MB dedicated memory, and a quadcore processor

Looking at the User Manual for the DV6 there is another motherboard 630278-001

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics, 1024-MB dedicated memory, and a quadcore processor with WiMAX

The difference between the two is the WiMAX as fas as the description, are there any other differences? Would I be able to put my i7 processor straight in?

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Meshiee 

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Up

HP Recommended

@Meshiee Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to change the motherboard.

The following motherboard supports for your laptop.

• ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6550 graphics, 1024-MB dedicated memory, and a dual-core processor 631044-001
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6370 graphics, 512-MB dedicated memory, and a dual-core processor 631042-001
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics, 1024-MB dedicated memory, and a quadcore processor with WiMAX (Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access) 630278-001
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics, 1024-MB dedicated memory, and a quad-core processor 615278-001
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics, 1024-MB dedicated memory, and a dual-core processor with WiMAX 630279-001

Please see the manual 

You could purchase the part from HP, use the HP Parts surfer to identify the part: http://partsurfer.hp.com/search.aspx 

And order it via the HP Parts store: https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/CountryChoice.aspx?mscssid=&ccode=ZZ&lcode=ZZ 

Or alternatively, Contact HP for setting up an order/service via phone support   

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

You are correct in thinking that I would like to change the motherboard.

Unfortunately those motherboards are no longer available in the hp part finder as they have been discontinued.

I thought that 630278-001 would be compatible with 615278-001 as the only difference between them was the WiMAX.

What I did not know is the other motherboards that are also compatible as they are for dual-core processors when the i7 is quadcore.

HP Recommended

@Meshiee 

In that case, I would suggest you contact our phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.