Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a docking station that is compatible with my HP Envy Notebook AND a Lenovo ThinkPad? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It does not have USB-C or Thunderbolt which is going to limit your options quite a bit. The best you can do is a USB 3.0 port replicator with DisplayLink for connecting monitors. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Universal-Docking-Station-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ref=sr_1_5?keywords...

This will not charge the laptops so you still need to use the factory AC adapter with either laptop you connect but this would provide docking function; monitors, usb ports, ethernet, etc. for both the Envy and the Thinkpad by plugging to a USB 3.0 port. 

Please accept as solution if this is th einfo you needed. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Not a true docking station which is a device that attach to a proprietary connection on the laptop and provides port replication and power supply. True docking stations are specific to one manufacturer's product and generally just a couple models. I call them "snap down" docks and you generally do not see them in use any more on consumer grade laptops. 

HP only makes true docks for its business models and Lenovo makes docks only for its high-end Thinkpads and the two are not interchangeable in any way. 

There are also devices called port replicators which do not generally power the laptop and plug into one port on the laptop. Those are more generic and can be used across multiple manufacturer's products. 

To add complexity, for very recent model laptops that have "Power Delivery" USB-C or Thunderbolt ports, you can have a true docking station that will provide power and port replication across a wide variety of laptops that have such a port. The device would plug into one USB-C or Thunderbolt port. I actually have a third party dock/port replicator I have used with an HP Spectre 13-vxxx series and a Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon x1 6th gen both of which laptops have Thunderbolt ports. The device is an Iogear GUD3C02:

https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Ultra-Slim-Display-Delivery-GUD3C02/dp/B06Y618JND/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3SD9...

These are also sold at Best Buy. This device powers either laptop using a 65w USB-C power supply to the dock and then one cable to the laptop provides power and charging and dual monitor, ethernet, standard usb ports for mouse and keyboard, etc. 

We really need to know the specific models of the Envy and Thinkpad to tell you what your options are. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

We really need to know the specific models of the Envy and Thinkpad to tell you what your options are.

The HP Envy NoteBook model is [edit]

The Lenovo ThinkPad model is [edit]

HP Recommended

Neither of those is an actual model number and brings up nothing in search engines. 

HP Recommended

My apology, here are the correct models:

HP Envy 17t Notebook Core i7)

Lenovo ThinkPad T470 (Core i5)

HP Recommended

The T470 has a Thunderbolt port. You need to be even more specific for the Envy. If it has a 7th or 8th gen Intel Core processor it might have Thunderbolt but need exact model. 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

HP Recommended

I was able to find the following additional information: HP ENVY Notebook - 17t-n100 CTO (ENERGY STAR)

HP Recommended

It does not have USB-C or Thunderbolt which is going to limit your options quite a bit. The best you can do is a USB 3.0 port replicator with DisplayLink for connecting monitors. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Universal-Docking-Station-Ethernet/dp/B00ECDM78E/ref=sr_1_5?keywords...

This will not charge the laptops so you still need to use the factory AC adapter with either laptop you connect but this would provide docking function; monitors, usb ports, ethernet, etc. for both the Envy and the Thinkpad by plugging to a USB 3.0 port. 

Please accept as solution if this is th einfo you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank you sir for your patience and assistance with this issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.