Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Elite USB-C Dock
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After confirmation of my reseller Bechtle that the HP Elite USB-C Dock would perfectly work with HP ProBook 650 G2, I bought a few of these docks. I was in the assumption, and this was confirmed by HP and my reseller Bechtle, that everything was done through the USB-C connection. In my case nothing was done! Only when I use the USB-C to USB-3 adapter the network, USB and displays work, power doesn't!

I work with Windows 10 Enterprise, latest build. Anyone an idea?

2017-02-10: II've tested with several Windows 10 Enterprise HP ProBook 650 G2 systems as well with 3 brand-new Elite USB-C docks. I even went as far as installing the HP provided Windows 10 Pro CD and also tested a laptop with the factory installed Windows 7 Pro, no combination did work.  What I did see is the led lights up and goes out constantly and that the dock doesn't present itself as HP Dock as it should according to the manual.

Are all those HP Elite USB-C DOA? I mean, it looks like a firmware flash didn't complete succesfully?

2017-02-13: I've just got confirmed from another guy from HP that the HP Elite USB-C dock does't work with HP ProBook 650 G2's connected via USB-C?!?! First someone at HP tells me (via phone) that the HP Elite USB-C dock is fully functional together with a HP ProBook 650 G2, no it's not? I'm totally flabbergasted! Why doesn't HP provides a working USB-C dock solution for a business laptop (not cheap!) like the HP ProBook 650 G2 equipped with a USB-C port? To be honost? I'm disappointed in HP..

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I can only agree with this.

We always used Dell portables but recently switched to HP.

We have 90 ProBook 650/640 G2 with HP Elite USB-C docking station for each one.

Because the device already has a only 2 usb ports it would be good to connect the docking station via usb-c.

We got it confirmed by our resellers that they would work but we all know the answer.

Even with the recent bios update 1.07 for the portables it does not work.

I can understand why you can't have power via the docking station but that even the connector itself does not react is pretty disappointing.

Now we lose 1 of the 2 usb ports already for the docking station.

HP, please make it work. It can't be rocket science we are talking about.

I simply want to connect the docking via usb-c to the portable and charge the portable seperately.

We are disappointed in HP and our reseller and are seriously thinking of changing our 400 end users back to Dell.

Greetings,

Michel

HP Recommended

We're having the exact same situation with the 450-series notebooks. HP indicated that these "Elite Docks" (port replicators, really) are the "docks" that were designed for use with the 450-series laptops, but the USB-C port is totally non-functional with the "Elite Dock".

The port works with other devices (USB-C flash drive) but the notebook only recognizes the "Elite Dock" when connected via the enclosed adapter to the USB 3.0 port. And that is the only USB 3-compatable port on the notebook, so you have to use that one in order to use the "dock" effectively. Since that port is too close to the USB-C port you can't use both the USB 3 and USB-C ports at the same time.

We also tried a BIOS update, as well as all available drivers on HP's support site, but it just doesn't work.

Come on, HP - if this is the designated "dock" for these notebooks then make it fully compatable, please.

HP Recommended

Trying to use a HP Elite USB-C dock with a HP Probook 430 G4. It does absolutely nothing when it's plugged into the USB-C port. The HP dock works just fine with a Dell XPS with a USB-C port, and even charges it. Conversly, the Dell USB-C dock that does power delivery doesn't charge the HP, but still works as intended as a dock (Hub/displaylink/audio/ethernet). It's like the HP Elite USB-C dock doesn't work unless power delivery is supported, which is stupid, because the Dell dock shows that it's possible to work without it. This is absolutely stupid, there is ZERO reference to any limitation (like no Power Delivery over USB-C) in documentation for the laptop. And there is ZERO reference to any limitations for the dock in the respective documentation. It's absolute insanity. I'm on the latest BIOS/UEFI as well.

TL;DR Get bent HP.

HP Recommended

May I ask what type of Dell docking is working with your HP ProBook?

Working : passthrough of audio,video, network,.. (not charging)

thanks!

HP Recommended

An HP Field Technician (who has been here before and known to be on top of his game) came and swapped out the system board but still couldn't get it to work. He was on the phone with HP for a while after that and the determination was that the 650 G2 notebook is definately NOT capable of supporting either data transfer or power connection via USB-C port to the HP Elite USB-C dock. The only thing the USB-C port is good for on this notebook is direct connection of a USB-C device, OTHER THAN the dock. 

(Heavy sigh.) But the USB 3.0 port on the notebook is too close to the USB-C port to be able to use both effectively for some devices, such as the 2 SanDisk flash drives I tried to plug in next to each other. In fact, as I mentioned in my original post, the notebook's USB-C and USB 3.0 ports are too close to each other to use the USB-C port with a SanDisk flash drive when the dock's USB adapter is connected to the notebook. And since that's the only USB 3.0 port on the notebook it's the only port which can be used to provide USB 3.0 speeds via the dock.

The same situation (proxomity of the USB-C and USB 3.0 ports) exists on the "Elite Dock" as well, but at least on the other side of the port there are 3 other USB 3.0 ports available. 

So I surely hope there's a redesign for both devices in the works.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.