Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 820 G4 (Z2V95EA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.

I'm looking for a new laptop, and one of the candidates is HP EliteBook 820 G4 (Z2V95EA). Following the specifications, It has installed HDD 500 GB 7200 rpm SATA. Is it possible to add for the laptop second drive - M.2 SSD (e.g. 256 Gb)? My assumption is that it has the gap between M.2 and the chassis: https://www.notebookcheck.net/fileadmin/_processed_/9/3/csm_HP_Elitebook_820_G4_Innereien_3b7b166aa9... And the second question: could HP EliteBook 820 G4 works with 2 display - the first connected to DisplayPort and the second connected to VGA?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I wondered that myself. It would have to be a 42 mm M.2 and those are not easy to find in any significant capacity. Some Thinkpad models have a dual purpose M.2 slot. It can be either a storage disk or a WWAN. I would say it would have to be an mSATA version not an NVME/PCIe. The Thinkpad Service Manual expressly says the WWAN can also hold a storage disk and this Manual does not, however. It also says the WWAN and WLAN are not interchangeable which implies the WWAN is a single purpose slot and not a general mini-pcie slot.  So if you press me for an answer I would have to say it will not work but privately I am thinking there is a chance it will.  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

That is a great picture of the motherboard and shows you can have either an M.2 mSSD OR a 2.5 inch HDD or SSD but not both. The hard drive is installed by connecting to the SATA port on the left of the M.2 in that picture and will occupy the bay, leaving no room to attach an M.2. 

The laptop is capable of taking an NVME/PCIe M.2 which will be several times faster than a HDD or a SATA SSD. 

Yes the DP and VGA ports can both be used with the laptop screen to have a total of 3 screens to use. 

HP Recommended

Thank you, Huffer. I don't need an SSD as primary drive, because it has smaller size than I need. But I need an SSD as a secondary drive and it could be even 128 Gb, it is enough for me. In the Z2V95EA , according the picture and specification, there is free M.2 WWAN modem slot. Is it possible to install an SSD to that slot? 

HP Recommended

I wondered that myself. It would have to be a 42 mm M.2 and those are not easy to find in any significant capacity. Some Thinkpad models have a dual purpose M.2 slot. It can be either a storage disk or a WWAN. I would say it would have to be an mSATA version not an NVME/PCIe. The Thinkpad Service Manual expressly says the WWAN can also hold a storage disk and this Manual does not, however. It also says the WWAN and WLAN are not interchangeable which implies the WWAN is a single purpose slot and not a general mini-pcie slot.  So if you press me for an answer I would have to say it will not work but privately I am thinking there is a chance it will.  

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

You should look at the 840 G4, it will accept both the SSD and PCIe drives at the same time.  HP had some incorrect info posted on the 820 when I bought mine which suggested it would support both drives but It cannot.  

I wanted both drives to better support some VM's i travel with but I've settled for a large PCIe drive.  For a relatively small difference in size I'd have been happier with the 840 and dual drives.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.