Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. My laptop occasionally and unexpectedly turns on. For example, sometimes in the morning I see the laptop on the bios startup password as if I turned it on and leaved there but I always, always hibernate my laptop overnight and every time I move between office/home. Some other times I take my laptop out of the bag and the battery is dead (meaning that the laptop has automatically turned on while on the bag), that's how I know that it turned on automatically.

I have set the bios startup password

I have configured the HP client security with bios password

I have checked the bios configuration to have the turn on schedule disabled

Issue happens not on a schedule but occasionally at very random times during day or night

I understand so far that hibernation means no power usage, leading to no apps would be able to wake the computer right?.

Does it sounds like a defective unit? or may be a configuration issue?.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

PWR and LID.png

There are things that could start your PC if left in the Fast Start Up mode, so I have mine unchecked and do a neat shutdown, avoiding a depleted battery.

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the info, I have made a research on the "Fast Startup" and found no evidence on exactly what can be causing a computer to turn on while hibernating from this feature. Fast Startup only affect on windows not having to completely load the kernel onto memory when starting such loading some device drivers, if a device doesn't support this feature it will have to be reloaded again on reboot and only devices like keyboard or HIDs support features to wake up a pc, since nothing will be running on memory once device has reached hibernation or shut down, so I don't find how the "fast startup" function can be turning on a laptop while on Hibernation or shut down.

Also, "Hibernation" is a process on which computer is totally turned off (nothing will be left in RAM after power has been cut thus nothing will be running), while on this mode only UEFI/BIOS configuration (e.g. network or schedule) could turn on a laptop from compatible HIDs, or is there more documentation on possible causes? FMEA maybe?.

HP Recommended

Hi

" leading to no apps would be able to wake the computer right?."

I used to believe that, but now believe that not to be the case.

DuckDuckGo for  "https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100291.0"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I finally did a full system restore wiping all files and settings. Problem fixed. I have reinstalled same software. At the end, didn't found what software/configuration could be turning on my PC (weird), but now I can breathe knowing I have battery when I need it.

Thank you for your time.

HP Recommended

Prego.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.