cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

HP Envy 15 notebook Hard drives supported

HP Recommended
Envy 15 touchscreen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I tried to replace dvd on my laptop with sshd drive and with regular 2.5 inch drive but laptop doesn't work properly with them. One time laptop see hard drive but after 5 min it is not there.

Does thi laptop supports regular hard drives or just SSD's, since os is on ssd disk and it works ok?

Even if I put that SSD instead of DVD it doesn't boot.

What can be wrong there?

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
86,283 86,151 10,955 23,533
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@masterdeki 

There are hundreds of different models/products called HP Envy 15 Notebooks. What is yours ?

Normally it supports 2.5" HDD or SSD, you can replace existing HDD with a 2.5" SATA SSD using

https://www.crucial.com/products/ssd/crucial-mx500-ssd
           https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/860evo/
   Or similar from reputable vendors.
        One example (compatible drive, can use smaller/larger capacity)

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/mx500/ct2000mx500ssd1/ct13424215

You can use ODD bay to add 2.5" HDD or 2.5" SSD but booting from there could be a big problem because in many cases the SATA controller for ODD is slower.

What are your trying to do now ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Product number is J1R04EA#ABD

Now I'm not trying anything, I dont know what else to try?

HDD instead of DVD doesn't have to have OS on it, I just want to use it as additional storage, but one time it is showing up in disk management and other time it is not there.I tried with different HDD's and it is the same.

Is there any settings in bios that should be enabled?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation