Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Am sorry to hear that.

With your latest result it would appear that there is a problem in the charging circuit. An issue in the charging circuit (failing or even shorted component ) can turn off the input voltage from the power adapter.

That is something that would require either system board replacement or troubleshooting with a multimeter and an IR thermal imaging device to find the faulty component on the board.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

UPDATE:

I've gone quiet on this because the laptop is working normally now with the new battery and original charger.  Despite it failing at first with the new battery.

After it failed I ran all the system diagnostics available on F2 after boot and it passed all checks (with new battery installed).

Since then the laptop has worked correctly off AC adapter and battery so I'm not sure if somehow running the checks has done something, I didn't update the BIOS or anything..?

Anyway, I may try the old battery again to see if that makes it 'fail' again, then I will be able to confirm it was indeed the battery.. until then I'll hold off accepting this as a solution.

Although I'm a  bit reluctant to do any more testing as it's now working and I don't want to run into problems again! 🙄

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.