Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17-n013na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings, I wonder if anyone can help?

My 17" HP Envy laptop has been faultless since purchase around 6 years ago, however since yesterday I can't keep it powered on for more than a few seconds or so.  The battery is fully depleted and the PSU only powers the laptop for a few seconds before shutting off - the 'charging' icon only appears for a few seconds.  I haven't changed anything software or hardware-wise recently.

Tests:

I have checked the PSU and it outputs 20.1VDC (label states 19.5VDC).  However, after it has been plugged into the laptop, briefly shows 'charging' and then stops it shows no output at all when I remove the input jack and re-check it.  I have to unplug the PSU from the laptop and the wall, wait a minute or so and then plug it in to the wall again (not connected to the laptop).  After this the PSU outputs 20.1VDC again, until I plug it into the laptop and the same happens.  Is it possible that the laptop is shutting down the PSU?

As the PSU only runs the laptop for a few seconds it doesn't charge the battery for long enough to make any difference, or give me time to run any software tests.

If I leave the PSU plugged into the wall but not the laptop (so no load), it outputs a steady 20.1VDC permanently.

The laptop power input jack and plug should be fine as it is rarely plugged and unplugged.

I did a quick search but couldn't find this exact issue highlighted previously, does anyone have any ideas before I try another PSU?

Thanks,

Gary

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi @thefonzzz 

Notebook power adapters can't really be tested by checking the voltage. What is needed is a load.

If you can connect it to a different notebook that has the same voltage/power requirement  and it works, that would be a suitable test.

Normally, the power led on a notebook is a diagnostic test in itself. As long as there is a power led, it means the power adapter is OK.

Since your notebook is newer than 2011, it should have a  HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI utility available from the F2 key immediately after powering on. In the components test section you can choose to check the power adapter and that will let you know if it is good or is failing.

With a notebook power adapter and notebook at the service life point yours are, at six years, chances are that one or the other is failing.

The failure point could be the power adapter, the charge/power circuit on the notebook's system board or a failing pin on the header connector of the notebook it plugs into.  The next time you power on and it shuts down try gently wiggling the power connector of the power adapter at the notebook to see if it lights back up.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Update:

I removed the battery and the laptop is now staying on.  Either there is a problem with the battery or the charging circuit it seems.  Any HP gurus know if I can test either of these two possibilities?

HP Recommended

That would mean that the battery is failing and should be replaced.

Removing the battery isolated the issue to the battery.

It is a plain and simple result. Good thing that you tried it.

re: "Is it possible that the laptop is shutting down the PSU?" Yes, because of the installed failing battery.

@thefonzzz 

Update:

main battery source results. many in the UK

https://www.google.com/search?q=17-n013na+battery+UK&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=AOaemvKSo7d6TwrcefQt...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Sorry Erico, didn't see your post before I added my reply.

Good point on the load situation, volts are only part of the story of course.  Maybe the charging of the battery is adding extra load and the PSU can't handle that and shuts down?

With these types of power jacks it seems impossible to check under load without removing the casing.

Thanks for the pointer on the diagnostic, I'll give that a go.

Thanks for your time 🙂

HP Recommended

I answered your PSU ( in laptops it is called a power adapter)   shutdown question in an edit of my previous reply.

HP Recommended

I checked out some battery replacement options.  For £30 I think I'll give one of these a go and see what happens:

https://www.batterybuy.co.uk/battery-hp/envy-17-n013na-hp-battery.htm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/XITAI-Replacement-804073-851-805095-001-806953-851/dp/B07K44FCQ7

If it doesn't fix the issue at least I'll have narrowed down the issue and will have a useful spare battery!

I will update this thread when it arrives 🙂👍

HP Recommended

Great!

HP Recommended

Great!

Amazon is probably the best way to go because of the great return policy required of sellers if their product isn't as advertised.

HP Recommended

UPDATE:

Purchased the battery from Amazon and it arrived today - looks identical to the original.

Installed it and it took a charge for about 5 minutes, but then the same happened as before - battery charging symbol went off and on checking the PSU (adapter) found it had stopped outputting any voltage again.

So, it's not the battery.  Either the PSU (adapter) is faulty or the charging circuit is causing the issue 😞

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.