Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13 Model Ah0003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I received a brand new HP Envy 13 from HP yesterday and from the moment it’s turned on until it shuts down, there’s an annoying and constant electrical static noise. This doesn’t happen during diagnostic tests, only when Windows loads. Is there any way to stop this? The same is true of the fan, it seems to fire up for no reason. I haven’t even installed any software yet. Following the advice of another thread here, I disabled the USB charge option in the BIOS but this changes nothing. Please advise.
17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@mhenner

Thank you for being a part of HP Forums, 

It'll be an honor to guide you through the steps needed to identify your concern and/or address your query.

Have you attempted to connect a headphone and check if the static noise appears on the headphones instead of the speakers? that way we know if the sound is appearing on the speakers via the soundcard or if it's a fan noise, so we can work accordingly!

Let me know how that pans out

I will have a colleague follow-up on this to ensure it's taken care off, in case you don't respond in the next 24-48hrs,

As I need to know if the issue has been resolved, to get proper sleep at night.

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon,

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' as it would help the community gain more knowledge and have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I don’t think the sound is coming from the speakers but will check and let you know.

HP Recommended

@mhenner

Thank you for responding!

Please take your time and get back to us with the results,

We will be eagerly awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a great day, ahead.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I checked and the sound isn't coming through the headphones, so I'm assuming it's not a sound card issue. It sounds like the processor working or something similar. 

HP Recommended

@mhenner

Thank you for responding,

This is the Riddle_Decipher, again!

If you've ensured this isn't the speaker, here's what you need to do, to resolve excessive noise issues on your device:

• Updating your Notebook computer BIOS
  • Keeping notebook air vents clear and clean
  • Increasing the efficiency of the notebook to reduce heat
  • Using Windows Task Manager to identify corrupt processes
  • Selecting power save settings to shut off your computer when it is not in use

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(Though the header/title of the above article isn't the same as your concern, the steps suggested will help resolve the issue).

I hope that answers your query,

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The notebook is brand-new, bought online directly from HP.com. So the vents are as clean as they can possibly be. As I mentioned before, the sound is an electrical noise that occurs when the processors are working. There are no corrupt processes since I installed nothing new onto the notebook when I received it. I will try to update the BIOS but have a funny feeling this will do nothing.

Is HP aware of this issue on other laptops? A colleague also recently bought a brand new HP Envy and we compared the electrical noise. It was identical on both machines.

HP Recommended

@mhenner

Thanks for responding,

It looks like you were interacting with @Riddle_Decipher, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your forum private message box next to the bell notification icon on the upper right-hand corner for a private message from me for further assistance.

HP Recommended

HI all,

I also met the same problem. The noise become louder while I am rolling up/down the web pages (by touch screen or touch pad) 

Could you please give me some suggestions to  fix this problem?

Many thanks 

Brady

HP Recommended

I'd be really interested to know if you ever sorted this.  I've had exactly the same problem from new, 8 months ago.  I updated the Bios from the HP website which improved the frequency of the noise a bit but it has now started to become far more intrusive again.  I didn't pay for an expensive computer to have this - it's noisier than my old Vostro.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.