Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I never fixed the electrical static, no. And I’m guessing nothing can be done but HP won’t admit it. I’ve just learnt to live with the noise to be honest. It’s a great piece of kit so it’s worth tolerating the noise.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick response.  I feared it would be as you say and HP don't come out of this well.  The odd thing is that we looked at lots of reviews before buying and this fault never came up - if it had I wouldn't have bought it. It's still under warranty though so we'll see what happens.

HP Recommended

I also would be very very interested to know.  I have looked this up many times, and the standard (like, zero thought, read it from a manual) answer is Bios and vents.  I have done everything I can find on line.  Cleaned the vents, updated bios, reinstalled windows completely, updated my sound card drivers.  This is maddening.

It is quite loud when I first start up, increasing in noise to a crescendo, then it stops.  at that point, it really sounds like interference from the fan motor (its NOT, will explain in a moment).  Then it goes away, but it reappears anytime a video comes up, whether imbedded in the webpage, or a video files.   It does NOT come from the sound card.  It comes from the right front corner of my machine, and continues coming from there if I pot in headphones. 

I am sure it is not the fan, because it stops after start up, only re-appears when there is video, and its not as bad when the computer is warmed up as it is when it first starts.  in fact, if I am running large processes, and my fan kicks on, there is no sound (again, unless there is video).

Please someone at HP give a real response.  

HP Recommended

Hi guys!

I just wanted to update you that I never fixed the issue with the static noise in my Envy. I decided to exchange laptop for a new Envy as it was still under warranty. The new laptop has exactly same problem with the noise. I lost my trust for HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for that update - it's really unsatisfactory but HP are clearly not going to admit any responsibility.  I did yet another BIOS upgrade and brushed around the vents (but this problem started far too soon after purchase for it to be the vents) and I have to say the noise has not been so noticeable recently (what's the bet it starts up again as soon as I post this).  I haven't yet discussed this with HP because it looks as if they put all the onus on the buyer to clean/update it etc. and have no will to get to the bottom of the problem.   It's annoying that they won't answer queries by email but will only entertain a phone call after the buyer has logged their query and obtained a log number.  The guarantee runs out soon but, if the improvement I've seen continues, I'll just put up with the device.  Not happy though.  I feel a less than positive review coming on, now that I've seen how it goes.

HP Recommended

I just bought the latest Envy brand new and am having this exact issue. I'm super frustrated I have this awesome new laptop but it has a terrible static noise and I can't play videos without it getting worse. Anyone have ANY answers???

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue. I bought my Envy for Mother's Day as an updated laptop and it is so annoying. How do you fix it or exchange it?

HP Recommended

The only thing I found that made a difference was to go to the HP site and download the latest Bios.  If you enter your serial and model numbers, the site will point you to the correct download.  The first time I did this, it didn't seem to make much difference but I did it again some time later and there did seem to be an improvement.  Now I tend to get the noise on logging on and occasionally during internet use but haven't noticed it too much.  If you stream a lot, which I don't, you might find it happening more often,  Hope this helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.