Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP HDX 18
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP HDX 18, an Older gaming laptop but definitely a workhorse and runs Win-7 quite well.

It seems to over heat easily however when doing anything that taxes the cpu and I've been using one of those cheap small personal fans powered by USB placed nearby to cool off the CPU area and that seems to help immensely but the fan noise is distracting and I'm sure there is something better,

IMG_6157.jpg

The built in fan on the unit works but doesn't seem powerful enough, pardon the dust. I do use canned air frequently. 

Does anybody have an experience with this laptop and perhaps have a better idea for an auxiliary fan?

I do not mind the idea of having an external fan, even one placed directly on the keyboard would be fine because I use an external keyboard and basically used this HP HDX18 Like a desktop.

I would rather have a fan like I have positioned either next to or on top rather that than one those that goes underneath but I'm open to that idea.

Any ideas or input would be appreciated!

PS.  I love the HP HDX 18 but its definitely a legacy device.  I am looking to stick with HP,  any ideas of something to upgrade to? Doesn't need to have an 18 inch screen.    

-Yrmzi

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Yes the HDX18 is a beast. One of the better laptops ever made by HP and continued to be useful for years after it was made and as you said can still run Windows 7 pretty well. Have you opened the case to check for dust buildup around the CPU fan? Compressed air cannot blow it all out. The equivalent laptop today would be a mobile workstation like the Zbook and you would have to settle for a 17 inch screen. I do not believe HP makes an 18 inch model now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.