Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17T-J100
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi,

I ran the PC Hardware Diagnostics test and I got the code that shows I have a Hard Drive Failure on Hard Drive 1.  I'm having trouble finding the replacement part for this, or if there are any suggestions for comparable part to use?  My System Information indicates HDD1 is Type ATA, Model Toshiba MQ01ABD100, 1000GB, LBA48 Supported, SMART Enabled, Sector Type 4k/512e.  

Thank you in advance for any advice, please let me know if I need to provide any additional information.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your notebook comes with two drives, a HDD2 failure would not prevent the main hard drive from booting up into Windows.

If HDD1 failed, you will need to reinstall Windows.

As far as the reliability of any drive, that I cannot help you with.

Read the user reviews.

I have that very same drive in a Dell Deskop PC, but I have only had it in there since July.

Normally SSD's are more reliable in general because they don't have any moving parts.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can purchase any 2.5" x  9.5 mm or 2.5" x 7.0 mm hard drive you want.

Maybe you will want to upgrade the drive, and install a 2.5" solid state drive instead.

They cost more per gigabyte, but they are worth it.

If you can get by with 500 GB of storage a SSD of that size will only cost a bit more than a replacement 1 TB 2.5" drive.

Suggested drives...mechanical...

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-2-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000LM049/dp/B078TJ17QF/ref=sr_1_4?keyw...

Solid state:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-NAND-500GB-Internal/dp/B072R78B6Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=FZ5MJ3XZBSSK&...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for the upgrade suggestion. 

Is that SSD model known to be reliable, we don't want to have to replace again anytime soon.  We are just casual users of this laptop, and are surprised the hard drive would fail after 5 years. 

Is there a way to see if we should also replace the other drive at this time?  Will the failure of the HDD2 prevent the startup/boot like the HDD1 failure, resulting in a complete reinstall of windows?  Thank you again for your advice.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your notebook comes with two drives, a HDD2 failure would not prevent the main hard drive from booting up into Windows.

If HDD1 failed, you will need to reinstall Windows.

As far as the reliability of any drive, that I cannot help you with.

Read the user reviews.

I have that very same drive in a Dell Deskop PC, but I have only had it in there since July.

Normally SSD's are more reliable in general because they don't have any moving parts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.