Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-n067nr
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

All of the information I can find online regarding my model states that it is SATA3. Given its age, and the fact it even supports USB3.0, I can see no reason why it would not support SATA3 as well. 

However, after upgrading my hard drive to a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, the speeds are half what they should be, and there is a message stating that the system does NOT support Sata3. 

Is this a driver based issue? Something AMD chipset related I am missing? I have run all the drivers on the HP site for my laptop. Still the issue persists. 

Please help!Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

SATA 3 and USB 3.0 are two different things. From the specs, most likely your machine uses SATA 2. Please use a tool mentioned on the following post to check:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/pavilion-g6-sata-6-Gbits-s/m-p/1576129#M73605

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

SATA 3 and USB 3.0 are two different things. From the specs, most likely your machine uses SATA 2. Please use a tool mentioned on the following post to check:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/pavilion-g6-sata-6-Gbits-s/m-p/1576129#M73605

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the fast reply. The link for the software mentioned in your reply is invalid.

Here is an updated link. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html 

HP Recommended

Wow, I can't believe this laptop is only SATA2. I just bought it TWO years ago!! The Sata3 spec came out 2008/2009. Why is HP using Sata2 on logicboards for laptops produced in 2013? This laptop has a Quad Core CPU in it. Im blown away. 

Not to mention, when checking elsewhere(crucial.com, and others), all specs stated Sata 3. But banhien, you were correct. a quick scan with PC Wizard stated otherwise.

GREAT!! Well nothing I can do now. Thanks for the help. 
Last HP I buy!

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem.

One thing i found : 

If you force quit the laptop by long pressing the power key.

Then the first time it boots up again. Have a look in Magician Software. It will report 6gb/s.

Next time you quit via windows in a normal way. Boot up again it will say 3gb/s.

Really strange.

I have done speed test when magician says 6gb/s and the speeds are as high as 450mb/s with ssd 850 pro.

Hope they fix this with a BIOS update someday.....

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.