Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Mini 110-1150EV
Linux

Hello. I own an old Hp Mini netbook. My OS (Linux Mint) reads the model as HP-Mini-110-1100

but the back of the netbook writes HP Mini 110-1150EV. I just got it from the previews

owner, he has upgraded it's RAM from 1 to 2gb, saying that's the maximum capacity. 

But when i run dmidecode -t 16 in terminal i get

Handle 0x000B, DMI type 16, 15 bytes
Physical Memory Array
Use: System Memory
Error Correction Type: None
Maximum Capacity: 4 GB
Error Information Handle: Not Provided
Number Of Devices: 1

Is it possible to upgrade it to 4gbs of RAM? I'm also going to replace it's HDD with an SSD,

i assume this is all i can do to make the netbook any faster, right?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to this unofficial website they claim the processor will support up to 8 GB of memory (I'm assuming with two memory slots).

Intel Atom N270 — Specifications (devicelist.best)

Unfortunately, the Intel site does not list the max memory capacity for the Intel Atom N270, which is unusual, because they normally reference the memory capacity on the specs sheet.

Intel Atom® Processor N270 (512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)

I have attached the service manual below, and according to the manual, the max memory is 2 GB.

The only other thing I can say is that a 4 GB DDR2 memory chip would be extremely expensive (more than a SSD will cost), and may be too risky to gamble that kind of money.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

What model Intel processor does it have?

There are some notebooks with a certain model series of Intel Atom processors that supported 4 GB of memory.

You should be able to replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SATA SSD.

Yes, if you can install additional memory and install a SSD, that would be all you could do to improve performance.

HP Recommended

Intel Atom N270 (1.6GHz)  512KB L2 cache, 533 MHz.

Architecture: i686
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 1
Socket(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 28
Model name: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz
Stepping: 2
CPU MHz: 1394.026
CPU max MHz: 1600,0000
CPU min MHz: 800,0000
BogoMIPS: 3192.29
L1d cache: 24K
L1i cache: 32K
L2 cache: 512K

HP Recommended

Hi:

According to this unofficial website they claim the processor will support up to 8 GB of memory (I'm assuming with two memory slots).

Intel Atom N270 — Specifications (devicelist.best)

Unfortunately, the Intel site does not list the max memory capacity for the Intel Atom N270, which is unusual, because they normally reference the memory capacity on the specs sheet.

Intel Atom® Processor N270 (512K Cache, 1.60 GHz, 533 MHz FSB)

I have attached the service manual below, and according to the manual, the max memory is 2 GB.

The only other thing I can say is that a 4 GB DDR2 memory chip would be extremely expensive (more than a SSD will cost), and may be too risky to gamble that kind of money.

HP Recommended

Ok, got it. Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

A SSD would help performance somewhat.

I wouldn't put too much money into such an old notebook though, so maybe opt for one no larger than a 250 GB storage capacity.

The problem is the drive controller is only SATA 1, so you won't get anywhere near the advertised speeds of the SSD.

I put a 120 GB Intel SSD into a HP nc6400 with the same chipset as your notebook.

Definitely helped, but only ran at 1/3 of the SATA 3 speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.