Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-ay010nt (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello my dear elders, my computer is 6 years old HP Notebook - 15-ay010nt, the features available on my computer right now; (All the features of the computer are the standard features of the model.)

*Intel® Core™ i5-6200U (2.3 GHz, up to 2.8 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)

*AMD Radeon™ R5 M430 Graphics (2 GB DDR3 dedicated)

*Samsung M471A1K43BB0-CPB 8GB PC4-2133P DDR4 2133Mhz Ram
*Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi M.2 Adapter
* 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA HDD

The products I intend to use for upgrading are;
*Corsair Cmso8Gx4M1A2133C15 Sodimm Nb Ram, DDR4 (1X8Gb) 2133Mhz Cl15,Black,8Gb
*KIOXIA Exceria 480GB SATA 3 2.5" SSD R: 555 MB/s W: 540 MB/s
Things I'm wondering about;

1) As far as I can see from the link http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05087748.pdf, I have 1x1 wifi slot, so I can't get a wifi card that supports 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. What I want to know is what are the 2.4 ghz wifi card models that are compatible with my computer and can get the highest speed? If I have many options, it will be easier for me to find them on the internet. Or I would like to know if my problem can be solved in some other way. For example, are there situations such as buying a 2.4 and 5 ghz wifi card and plugging it into a single slot?

2) Could there be a problem of incompatibility between the ram I want to buy and the current ram? I paid attention to the fact that all their features were similar, but I don't know if there are other situations that I don't know. 

3) I came across the comments that the performance of the KIOXIA brand's SSDs, especially those that are SATA, dropped quickly. I don't know if it's a chronic problem, I'm very aware of the fact that electronic products depend on luck. I would appreciate it if you could suggest products with similar features and prices.

4) Apart from the features I am considering upgrading, what other affordable upgrade options can I apply? I usually don't use the computer for gaming. I want to take good care of her as she put up with me for years: D

Thanks in advance for your valuable responses.

20221204_235102.jpg20221204_23510222.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is the only model Wi-Fi card you can upgrade to and have both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work, since your notebook has a single Wi-Fi antenna wire:

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The card has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi band with an AC router and an excellent signal.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express. 

I see some Intel 3165 cards listed on the eBay listings, so don't buy those.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001.

Memory:  I'm thinking that should work, or the Crucial DDR4-2400 equivalent which will automatically bridge to 2133 MHz and CL15:

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT8G4SFS824A | Crucial.com

SSD:  I have never heard of the model you want to install, so I can't offer an opinion.

You may want to consider a more 'mainstream' model such as a Sandisk SSD Ultra 3D, Western Digital Blue SA510, Crucial MX500 or a Samsung 860/870.

Any of the above drives will provide faster read/write speeds than the one you selected.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is the only model Wi-Fi card you can upgrade to and have both the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth work, since your notebook has a single Wi-Fi antenna wire:

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The card has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi band with an AC router and an excellent signal.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express. 

I see some Intel 3165 cards listed on the eBay listings, so don't buy those.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001.

Memory:  I'm thinking that should work, or the Crucial DDR4-2400 equivalent which will automatically bridge to 2133 MHz and CL15:

Crucial 8GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT8G4SFS824A | Crucial.com

SSD:  I have never heard of the model you want to install, so I can't offer an opinion.

You may want to consider a more 'mainstream' model such as a Sandisk SSD Ultra 3D, Western Digital Blue SA510, Crucial MX500 or a Samsung 860/870.

Any of the above drives will provide faster read/write speeds than the one you selected.

HP Recommended

Thanks you for your precious comment Mr. Paul . Can you also answer question 4?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry, I missed that question.

There are no other inexpensive upgrades you could perform,

The only other upgrades would then require a system board replacement to upgrade the processor or graphics.

Chapter 3 of the service manual has the list of supported motherboards.

HP Notebook PC (Intel) * Models: 15-ay000 – 15-ay099 * Models: 15-ay100 – 15-ay199HP 250 G5 Notebook...

If you upgrade the motherboard with better graphics, that will also require a different heat sink.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.