Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-AN120NF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I just received this laptop 2 weeks ago.

This weekend i tested it as much as i can, playing Monster hunter world, Wolfstein and doom and i instantly noticed the high temperature on CPU.

I've already updated the BIOS from hp site and everything from the Hp Support Assistant installed on the laptop, even the GPU drivers from the Official Nvidia site, but the temperature were still high.

From CPUID HW monitor these are the results:

Motherboard min: 45 celsius max 87 celsius

CPU package min 43 max 95

core0 min 43 max 93

core1 min 43 max 93

core2 min 42 max 95

core3 min 41 max 90

On idle (nothing running, on windows desktop, temperature are 45-50 celsius.

GPU temperatures are perfect and they never goes over 67 celsius.

Keep in mind that we are in decemeber, and the room temperature is always between 18 to 20 °C.  

I have read other posts where people had same issues with temperature, they all reported than the CPU fan is running at 3000 RPM and the GPU fan never go up 100 - 300 RPM. It's also my case.

I am sure that the GPU fan should be at least at 500 or 1000 rpm, and this would drop the overall CPU temperature by alot ! 

Could you help me out?

Thanks you very much.
Best regard Cyril.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Cyril83,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More. I see from your post you need information related to gpu fan not going faster on your HP Omen notebook. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

As I see you have a concern with the CPU temperature goes high and the GPU fan is not running faster than 200rpm.

GPU fan always runs slower compared to the CPU fan. The reason for that is the CPU fan generates more heat and required more cooling and faster cooling

GPU fan runs only when the graphics card is highly utilized specially while playing high end games. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to run an extensive system diagnostics test from F2(Please capture the failure ID for further assistance).

Could you please respond to this post with the details and with the results of the troubleshooting as this will help me in further assisting you.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

So, i searched in bios, but there is no option to change fan speed.

What could i do to force the fan to spin faster? I paid more than 1700 euros for this laptop so i expect to be able to tweak the fan speed while gaming to get decent temperature.

Thanks.

Cyril.

HP Recommended

@Cyril83,

I am responding on behalf of @Jeet_singh as he is out for the day. It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I would like to inform you that there is no setting or option to change or tweet the fan speed.

I will share you few details through a private message about the service options dedicated to your product, please watch your inbox for more information.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello

With my PC I have a problem with the temperature of the CPU - fan hardly works (If you think that you have a GPU fan problem, you should perhaps bring the device into warranty.
Until then:

With the Nvidia Inspector you can increase the GPU fan speed

https://nvidiaprofileinspector.com/nvidia-inspector-download/

(Show overclocking - down in the middle = Set Fan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.