Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an107na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I've purchased almost a brand new HP laptop ( the first owner purchased it almost a year ago but it was on power only 40 hours, i've checked the hard drives SMART data ) and i bought it very cheap on ebay auction in original box, after few hours of use I just realized my temps are way high and the laptop is throttling massively !I have undervolted the GPU with MSI afterburner setting up the highest working frequency on the lowest voltage and  I've undervolted(-150mV core and cach) and replaced the thermal paste(Thermo Grizzly Kryonaut) and repositioned all thermal pads ! YES HP HALF OF THE THERMAL PADS WEREN'T IN CONTACT WITH THE CPU AND THE GPU VRMS ! WHAT A edited **E ASSEMBLY QUALITY ! HEAT SINK WAS edited* ING BENT AS  WELL ! It helped a lot BUT it is still not the best ! I've checked the fan speeds because it was feeling strange like one side is not working properly. And my guess was right, one side is running under 200 rpm and the other side is running on 3000-4000rpm under heavy load ! I've checked HP forum and this issue affects most of your laptops built at 2018 !

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-Omen-overheating-97-100C/td-p/6709201/page/2

I've updated the bios with HP support assistant to the latest level but it still doesn't work !

I want to return this laptop for warranty repair because that fan is faulty or your bios is a piece of junk because it is a common issue between all hp OMEN products, I think i might file a case at the consumer court against HP because on your forums many people are complaining about the same overheating issue. And one fan just doesn't spin up from the two ....

This looks like for me a massive design flow and this flow limits the performance significantly of the laptop. My goal is to force HP to recall of these OMEN laptops due their desing fiasco.

I'm an engineer and working in a car manufacturer  [Content Removed]

But first I want to return my laptop that is in warranty at this point of time for repair or replacement. And you get chance to release a bios update that links the fans speed to each other ! And I can do that because on your website it says " If an end-user transfers ownership of an HP product to another end-user or company, the remainder of the warranty period may also transfer to the new owner."

[Content Removed]

Piece for all of you

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Ok now I'm super pissed off !

After 1.5 hours of gaming I lost charging on the laptop ! If I unplug it comes back and goes away.

Before this happend I've seen artifacts on the screen. It might be a motherboard fault....

This unit needs goind back definetly

HP Recommended

So I just wanted to share with you hp community what hp has done here, and it is quite sad for a gaming laptop that was 1700£ as new ...

So first picture, the fans, it is visible during GPU stress  test FAN2 stuck on 150ish rpm ... and as far as I know this is a common issue on 2nd gen Omen 15 and 17 laptops ! I would call this a serious design flow ...

Fan2 gpu speed stuck at 150ish rpm even during gaming or any stress test !.PNG

This is the 2nd picture, as you can see I highlighted an area where there is no thermal pad on the heatsink, there is 1 memory module only partly covered ! On long term run this memory module will be the first to fail due heat stress, so to avoid that I added an extra piece of gelid extreme thermal pad( a little grey bit is sticking out due even the heatsink doesn't cover fully the memory moduel ... ), to increase heat transfer. approx 1/4 - 1/3  circa 15mm2 of the memory module was not covered by thermal pad ( assembly mistake ? Or design flow ? HP should answer )

thermal pad doesn't cover the memory module by design !!!.jpg

And here the 3rd player in the game ...

CPU VRM components on the motherboard were NOT IN CONTACT BY DESIGN WITH THE HEATSINK ! There was a gap between the thermal pad and component ! On the left hand side it is visible by design the heatsink is shorter at least 10mm so the heatsink doesn't even go over that component. I added gelid extreme thermal pads to make contact with the heatsink ...

Thermal pad upgrades on the VRM due no contact at all by design !!!!!.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures when I was replacing the thermal paste, that would be a good learning curve as well how bad was the assembly quality, and showing how many thermal pads didn't make any contact at all with the GPU memory modules and the VRM components due the out of shape heatsink ... ( approx 1/3 of the pads didn't show any sign of contact ..)

Where is the quality control HP ?

Machine is going back for warranty repair due the fan2 

by the way with my magic ( undervolting the GPU and the CPU plus the new thermal paste ) I could keep the temps around 85 degrees even in tomp raider or devil may cry 5 on long therm, so what would happen if the 2nd fans works as it should ?

But because the 2nd fan is not working the heat transfer is uneven so all components on around the 2nd fan have higher heat stress due to slower heat transfer, so that wears the components slowly. 

HP Recommended

@Xcepter
I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Cheers mate, but I already booked a warranty repair and collection will happen on 15th of October.

Hopefully the service team can address the issue with the fan speed.

Thanks !

HP Recommended

Hello Xcepter, 

Thank you for the update. I am glad that they set up the repair for you. Please reach out to us if you require future support. 

Regards, 

AlexSoMe
I am an HP Employee 

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Another disappointment from hp .... it looks like it never ends ...

I'm not quite sure why did you send a box with foam protection that doesn't fit for my 17" laptop !

There is a cut out in the foam where the laptop should go but it is probably for 15" size laptops !!!! ( 2nd picture )

So my laptop will knocking in the plastic box all the way to the service destination because the sides are not protecteb by any foam ... ( in the original box the laptop sits IN the foam with the sides are protected !!!!!! )

The whole box should be bigger to put a proper foam in it that can protect the laptop edges as well !

I have taken dozens of pictures about the "sent in" condition of the laptop I don't want to see any scratch os scuff anywhere on the laptop !

IMG_20191015_103338_0.jpg

IMG_20191015_103348_5.jpgIMG_20191015_103406_5.jpgAn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.