Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. Bought a HP Omen 17 laptop a couple of months ago. My previous HP laptop (Envy 17) had an internal DVD/RW drive (and didn't have this issue). This laptop doesn't come with one so had to purchase an external (3.0 USB) DVD/RW drive (maker: Roofull) for it. First tried using new/empty/unburned DVD+R disc(s) to burn movie files. Drive and disc didn't show up at all in Explorer so figured it was a bad drive and returned drive and got a new different (brand) one (Roofull is the second one now). Roofull will not see DVD drive or rewriteable discs in Explorer either. Decided to try regular music discs -- they work; as well as a previously burned DVD disc -- it works too. Ultimate problem seems to be that the drive/DVD unburned disc will not show up in Windows Explorer!? Note. The 'drive' (not the disc in it) 'does' appear in Control Panel/Devices. However, niether show up in Explorer. If possible, please help. Thanks in advance.

L.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Lupester35 , welcome to the forum.

I have found over the years that some brands of discs work better than others.  You may want to try a different brand of disc.  If this doesn't work, I suggest asking Roofull's Tech Support for help: https://www.roofull.com/support#problem

They are the experts on their products.  Item #2 in the Support page seems to be the problem you are having: The device cannot be recognized by your computer (There is no DVD-RW or CD-Drive icon in Windows Explorer).

I don't believe that it has anything to do with the laptop.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Hello. Thanks for the feedback. I have already been in touch with Roofull and gone back and forth with them multiple times on this issue to no avail. I've recently done more experimenting on my own and have observed that this Roofull DVD'/RW drive reads audio and 'CD' R discs fine but is unable to read 'DVD' R/W discs?... Makes no sense? If by chance you or anyone else has any more ideas please let me know.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.