Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17 w295ms
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Today I discovered a large bulge alongside the trackpad in my HP Omen 17 notebook. I'm fairly certain this is related to the Lithium Ion battery in the notebook . Unfortunately the laptop is currently out of Warranty (and is just 1mo outside of my credit  card's extended warranty) and I haven't been able to determine who/how to contact HP for further support, beyond this forum.

I've also checked the official replacement parts store for a new battery, but it appears this replacement p/n is not listed. Is there an appropriate replacement that I can order? I'm really hoping a replacement exists as it's only a 2yr old notebook :-\.

Additionally, can this notebook run with the battery completely removed?

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Update - I've disassembled the laptop and the battery is massively bulging, definitely the culprit.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JereF 

Yeah, it happens.  Battery technology is an imperfect science.  Rats.

You are part of the way there (opened the notebook).  As computer repairs go, the replacement of the battery is not difficult.

Yes, the computer can run without the battery, though there are (of course) risks that a sudden loss of AC power could also results in a sudden loss of data when the system collapses into a powerless heap..  Keep your backups current and use only trusted power sources.  If you have one, this might be a good time to consider using a decent battery backup unit.  

Description                                             Spare part number

Battery 6 cell, 95 WH, 4.15 Ah, LI      853294-855

PartSurfer - 1QL54UA 

Maintenance & Service Guide: Models with GeForce GTX 1060/1070 graphics cards

Replacement procedure - pages 35-36

A quick check shows that Amazon, eBay, and Newegg appear to carry the part equivalent to the original battery.

Purchase from the merchant with whom you are most comfortable, have an account, and that meets your other criteria for price, shipping, return policy, and payment options.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

OMEN by HP - 17-w295ms

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@JereF 

Yeah, it happens.  Battery technology is an imperfect science.  Rats.

You are part of the way there (opened the notebook).  As computer repairs go, the replacement of the battery is not difficult.

Yes, the computer can run without the battery, though there are (of course) risks that a sudden loss of AC power could also results in a sudden loss of data when the system collapses into a powerless heap..  Keep your backups current and use only trusted power sources.  If you have one, this might be a good time to consider using a decent battery backup unit.  

Description                                             Spare part number

Battery 6 cell, 95 WH, 4.15 Ah, LI      853294-855

PartSurfer - 1QL54UA 

Maintenance & Service Guide: Models with GeForce GTX 1060/1070 graphics cards

Replacement procedure - pages 35-36

A quick check shows that Amazon, eBay, and Newegg appear to carry the part equivalent to the original battery.

Purchase from the merchant with whom you are most comfortable, have an account, and that meets your other criteria for price, shipping, return policy, and payment options.

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

OMEN by HP - 17-w295ms

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and all of the information Dragon-Fur. That maintenance guide may come in handy in the future so I definitely appreciate the link to that. It was a little disappointing to see that a genuine HP spare isn't offered after just a couple years, but as suggested, I went with an off-brand replacement via amazon. Hopefully the cells within the casing will achieve the advertised 8300mAh spec, always a little leery with these random off-brand manufacturers.

While the case was a bit of a pain to crack open (thankfully had a thin plastic shim handy from a previous Nin Switch repair kit that helped immensely) I was very glad to see that the removal of the battery simply involved removing some clearly marked screws, removal of the speaker cables from the battery's guide brackets, and unplugging the single battery connection to the motherboard. I was also very happy to see that the screw posts weren't damaged in spite of the significant pressure being applied to them. 

In case anyone else has this w295ms series notebook this video did a great job illustrating how to safely remove the back panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD64xl0mowM and while it's straightforward he also shows how to remove the battery. During some searches this morning I noticed a cluster of bulging battery related posts associated with this laptop model from the last few months, so I hope it helps anyone who may stumble across this thread.

HP Recommended

@JereF 

You are welcome.

Thanks for the link - anytime anyone finds "just the right" video, it is usually helpful to lots of other people.

Smiling.

For owners of "Not Omen" computers, there are also options...

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

• Use Categories and / or enter your request in the search bar to narrow the search. 

Examples,

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Battery and Power

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Parts Replacement and Upgrades

Search for replace battery or replace battery x360

Select and watch your Video

Good Luck,

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.