Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Why does my Envy notebook overheat when it’s on but not in use?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@4thTenor

Welcome to the HP support community.

Clean the air vents

Dust and debris can accumulate in and around the air vents over time, obstructing the airflow and causing the fans to work harder than normal to remove the heat.

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Remove any objects near the computer.

3. Use a vacuum to remove the dust from the vents underneath and on the sides of the computer.

Location of the vents on an HP Notebook PC

4. Turn the computer on, and then place it on a hard, level surface, such as a desk or table.

Update the BIOS

1. Go to HP Software and Drivers Downloads, and then navigate to the product page for your computer.

2. Locate BIOS in the list.

• If the BIOS option is not available, the BIOS is up-to-date.

• If the BIOS option is available, click BIOS, and then click Download next to the update. Follow the on-screen prompts, and then restart the computer. For more information, go to Updating the BIOS (Basic Input Output System).

You can refer this HP document for more assistance: Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.