Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-al115na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have just bought a second hand HP Pavilion 14-al115na laptop, however it is missing a hard drive, Hard drive caddy and RAM.

I have plenty of spare SATA hard drives lying around that I can install in the machine however where can I purchase a caddy for hard drive as that is missing too?

Also can someone confirm what RAM goes into the machine please?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're welcome.

basically, you can use any DDR4 2400MHz RAM (Sodimm which means notebook RAM)

Regards,

David

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

You could check and see if it has the M2 slot on the motherboard and install an M2SATA3 SSD of your desired brand and capacity.

On page 32 of service manual, you can see how to remove the bottom cover

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05207097

M2 SSDM2 SSD

You could also insert any 2.5"  HDD (max 2TB because of thickness) or SSD

You will need the cable part number 856205-001, you can try an online search

https://uk.eetgroup.com/search?query=856205-001

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=+856205-001&_sacat=0

The brackets might be more difficult to find. However, you could use some strong double-sided tape to keep the drive in place, especially an SSD.

The RAM is max 16 GB of DDR4 2400MHz which will run at 2133MHz (2x8GB)

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply, I have managed to locate the bracket(s) for the 2.5" HDD/SSD on eBay and have purchased them.

I will double check for a M2 Sata slot on the board but i'm pretty sure it doesn't have one.

In regards to the HDD/SSD cable, that is already present inside the machine.

Thanks also for the RAM information, that helps me greatly. Could you let me know what PC the RAM is? I usually buy my RAM second hand from Computer Exchange (aka CEX, high street store)

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're welcome.

basically, you can use any DDR4 2400MHz RAM (Sodimm which means notebook RAM)

Regards,

David

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Thanks once again for your reply.

I have just bought 2 x 8GB PC4-19200 sticks from Computer Exchange (aka CEX) to install in the laptop.

Just waiting for the hard drive rails to come as I ordered these from eBay and then we are all set to go.

Thanks once again for your help!

HP Recommended

No problem.

Let me know if you need any further help while you are performing the fix and/or how it works out.

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks again for your reply.

I will let you know how the repair pans out, I have done a lot of repairs on HP laptops and never really had an issue so I expect this one to be no different really. In regards to it have a slot for an M2 SSD, unfortunately it doesn't have that capability as the connector isn't soldered onto the motherboard so a tradition 2.5" HDD/SSD will have to do.

I have a few other HP laptops laying around that require a bit of my attention too so I may need help again if there is something I am unsure about. I am finding it hard to source a Hard Drive IDE connector for a NC6220, I found one on eBay but the seller never sent the item, got a refund mind you but now am a bit cautious of buying from them again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.