Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-p045TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Sir/Madam,

I want to upgrade RAM and Hard Drive (to SSD) in my HP Pavilion 15-p045TX laptop, please answer my below questions:

I have a 64Bit Windows 10 Installed on my laptop.

Related to RAM -

1) I have 2 RAM slots, 1 is used with ADATA 8 GB RAM, what is the maximum limit of RAM I can use in my second slot (8/16)?

2) Is it upgradable to 2*16GB RAMs (total 32 GB) ?

3) Can I use any brand DDR3 8GB/16GB RAM ? 

4) It has to be 1600 MHz ? Or 1333 Mhz will also work ? Which is better ?

Related to SSD -

1) Is there any limit on SSD memory size support ? 1 TB Supported ?

2) Can I use any brand SSD ? Transcend SSD 370S 250GB and Samsung 850 EVO 250GB OK ?

Will installing 64 Bit Linux make any difference on above questions OR Performance ?

--

Thanks 

Sandeep

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 3 for memory specs. It says 12 gigs is the max, but we know from experience you can install 2 x 8 gigs for 16 gigs total. Not 32 gigs. It has to be low voltage and if you already have a single 8 gig module you want to duplicate its specs. If it has 8 black blocks on the side you need to get a module like that. 

This system is not easy to work on. You need to remove the top cover to get to the hard drive bay, and need to remove the motherboard to add RAM. See p. 105 and 116. 

8 GB memory module 693374-005

There is a 16 gig module listed, but it is for AMD laptops with a single slot and will not work on your motherboard, even if you could find it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

You can install a 1 TB SSD of the 2.5 inch SATA type. There is no definitive list of supported brands. People sometimes have issues with some specific SSDs like some Crucials seem to cause problems but the Evo 850 by Samsung is a good choice with little or no record of issues. 

The computer does not know if it is running Windows or Linux and the RAM or SSD will work with either Linux or Windows or in dual boot. Current Linux kernels used in current distros like Ubuntu 16.04 handle SSDs just fine with full performance. 

Post back with any more questions. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See p. 3 for memory specs. It says 12 gigs is the max, but we know from experience you can install 2 x 8 gigs for 16 gigs total. Not 32 gigs. It has to be low voltage and if you already have a single 8 gig module you want to duplicate its specs. If it has 8 black blocks on the side you need to get a module like that. 

This system is not easy to work on. You need to remove the top cover to get to the hard drive bay, and need to remove the motherboard to add RAM. See p. 105 and 116. 

8 GB memory module 693374-005

There is a 16 gig module listed, but it is for AMD laptops with a single slot and will not work on your motherboard, even if you could find it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-1600MHz-PC3-12800-KVR16LS11/dp/B00CQ35HBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U...

You can install a 1 TB SSD of the 2.5 inch SATA type. There is no definitive list of supported brands. People sometimes have issues with some specific SSDs like some Crucials seem to cause problems but the Evo 850 by Samsung is a good choice with little or no record of issues. 

The computer does not know if it is running Windows or Linux and the RAM or SSD will work with either Linux or Windows or in dual boot. Current Linux kernels used in current distros like Ubuntu 16.04 handle SSDs just fine with full performance. 

Post back with any more questions. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you sir for replying.

I think I have got my answers 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.