Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello,

Looking to upgrade the memory and WLAN in my HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC (Intel CPU) and was wondering if a Kingston OEM 4 GB (KCP3L16SS8/4) will work or will it be white-listed, just read about them in HP systems and didn't know about them until now. I found the Kingston OEM module cheaper than the HP's, hopefully the OEM will work.

Also, will the following HP WLan module work as well?

Intel Wireless-N 7260BN 802.11b/g/n 2×2 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter w/Part Number 717384-001, just double-checking what I found on HP's service guide since HP's website said my make/model was a HP Pavilion 17-e019dx. Sorry, the model numbers are confusing.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for the response back to my upgrade questions regarding my Pavilion 17 Notebook's memory and WLAN module.

The max compacitiy for memory is 16GB but as long as I have a 64-bit version of windows? I don't remember see that as an option when I purchased my laptop.

My laptop's product number is E0J97UA, according to the HP Support Assistant software loaded on my laptop.

Thank you again for all your support !

WWZ

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@WorldWarZ

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you need information on upgrading the memory and Wireless on your device,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Did you check the service and maintenance guide to obtain these details?

is it from this link (CLICK HERE TO VERIFY) ?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to know:

The parts listed on the maintenance and upgrade guide are tested and approved by HP:

Wireless Integrated wireless local area network (WLAN) options by way of wireless module

One half-size mini card/PCI Express (HMC/PCIe) slot

Two WLAN antennas built into display assembly

Compatible with Miracast-certified devices

Support for the following WLAN formats:

● Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi adapter (with single antenna) available for Windows 7

● QCA 9565 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 combo adapter (with single antenna) available for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

● Realtek RT8188 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapteravailable for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

● Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter available for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

● Realtek RT8188 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi adapter (with single antenna) available for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

● Realtek RT8723BE 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 combo adapter (with single antenna) available for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

● Broadcom BCM 4352 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (with dual antenna ) available for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

● Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi adapter (with single antenna) available for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

● Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 HMC combo adapter (with single antenna) available for Windows 8.1 and Windows 7

● Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.0 combo adapter (with dual antennas)

The same goes for the memory:

Supports the following configurations:

● 12288 MB (8192 MB×1+ 4096 MB×1; not supported on computer models with a 32-bit operating system)

● 8192 MB (8192 MB×1 or 4096 MB×2; not supported on computer models equipped with a 32-bit operating system)

● 6144 MB (4096 MB×1 + 2048 MB×1; not supported on computer models equipped with a 32-bit operating system)

● 4096 MB (4096 MB×1 or 2048 MB×2)

● 16384 MB (8192 MB x 2)

Two SODIMM memory module slots (select models only)

DDR3L-1600 MHz dual channel support

DDR3L-1333 MHz dual channel support

Max. DDR3L-1600MHz Single Channel Support

That said, you can get any brand as the brand doesn't really matter as long as the description of the part matches.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for the response back to my upgrade questions regarding my Pavilion 17 Notebook's memory and WLAN module.

The max compacitiy for memory is 16GB but as long as I have a 64-bit version of windows? I don't remember see that as an option when I purchased my laptop.

My laptop's product number is E0J97UA, according to the HP Support Assistant software loaded on my laptop.

Thank you again for all your support !

WWZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.