Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion DV1000
Microsoft Windows XP

I have a Pavilion DV1000 with a Pentium 2.0 Ghz cpu and 1 gig memory.

I see there are two memory slots and read the DV1000 can be upgraded to 2 gigs memory using 2 x 1 gig memory chips?

However I also remember reading a DV1000 user stated he upgraded his DV1000 to 4 gigs main memory.

Is there a method to upgrade a DV1000 to 4 gigs main memory?

Perhaps it's possible with  certain DV1000 revisions and/or model numbers?

I've upgraded Thinkpads and Gobooks (General Dynamics) but am not familiar with HP Pavilions.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the product number of your dv1000?

The product number can be found on the same sticker as the serial number.

HP Recommended

P/N - PT111AV

HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the product number you posted, your notebook is a HP PAVILION DV1300 CTO NOTEBOOK PC.

Specs show it could have come with a Pentium M 740 processor, and it has the mobile Intel 910GM chipset.

Normally, that chipset takes DDR2 533 MHz memory (PC2-4200), but the parts list for your model indicates that it only has PC2700 (333 MHz) memory.

Either way, the chipset your notebook has, can only take a max of 2 x 1 GB of memory (2 GB ttl).

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks for the info.

What I have experience with a few other pc's and laptops, when going into production a pc or laptop needs to be 100  percent certified and tested to work with certain hardwares and chipsets. However occasionally  uncertified hardwares also work  and eventually used after being 100 percent certfied for the next generation model(s).

From what I've read online the DV2000 is designed for 4 gigs memory using PC2-4200 or PC2-5300

It's possible during production the DV-1000 was tested with PC- 2700 and PC-4200 but never was 100 percent certified for PC-4200, so they just left it out of the documentation and spare parts list, or perhaps PC-4200 memory was eventually certified for a later model DV-1000.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I believe the dv2K models could take 2 x 2 GB of memory.

The ones with the mobile intel 965 chipsets can take 2 x 4 GB of DDR2 memory (though the specs state 4 GB is the max).

The problem is that 2 x 4 GB of DDR 2 memory is so expensive nowadays, it isn't worth paying to upgrade to 8 GB.

HP Recommended

I looked through my hardware in storage but could not find any memory with the correct specfications.

200-pin SODIMM, 533MHz - PC-4200, 2 gb moduals are more difficult to find on eBay.

Walmart  and Amazon does carry them

https://www.amazon.com/PC2-4200-LAPTOP-200-pin-Genuine-Tech/dp/B00C53AHFI

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2GB-Module-PC2-4200-533MHz-NON-ECC-DDR2-SO-DIMM-Laptop-200-pin-Memory-Ram...

I could not find any reference to a  200-pin Sodimm 333MHz PC2700  2GB modual.

HP Recommended

Yes, but as I wrote yesterday, the max your model can take is two x 1 GB of PC 2700.

That notebook cannot handle a 2 GB PC2700 memory module in either slot, and I don't think there is any such thing anyway.  Max is 1 GB.

DDR2 memory will not even fit in your notebook.  It runs at a different voltage than DDR memory and the slots are cut in different places than they are on a DDR (PC2700) chip.

HP Recommended

Yes that's what I thought,  perhaps a PC2700 2GB model wasn't ever produced?

From what you stated I'll upgrade to a total of 2GB using 1GB modules.

HP Recommended

Yes, I don't think a 2 GB DDR chip was ever produced.

That is because any chipset that I know of that uses DDR memory, can only take a 1 GB module per slot.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.