Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, guys. I got this laptop since March 2016. I have been using it daily ever since (around 12 hours a day with ~6 hours of it spent gaming). I have had this problem for about a month now. It got worse just this week. I will now try to describe the problem and my usage behavior leading up to the problem.

Model: HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook 15-ak025TX

Processor: Intel Core i7-6700HQ

RAM: 16.0 GB

GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M

THE PROBLEM:

I actually have a lot of issues all related to POWER and BATTERY. Said issues just started manifesting about a month ago. The problems evolved like this:

> The issue started with a sudden shutdown while I was gaming. No warnings, no "low battery" notifications, no "shutting down" screen, nothing. It just shut off suddenly. I thought maybe i just missed the notification but shouldnt the laptop display the "shutting down" screen when the battery reaches critical level? (I set the laptop to shut down on critical battery level). 

> Since then, the battery would never fully charge. It would say something like, "02 mins to full charge", but no matter how long I waited, it would never fully charge. The highest charge it held was around 95%.

> I tried changing battery settings in the advanced power options. I set the low battery level to 50% with notifications on and the "do nothing" action. I set the reserved power level to 30%. I set the critical battery level to 20% with the "shut down" action. This seemed to work at first. The battery would reach 50% and notifications would appear. I used these settings for about a week with no problems.

> Then the issue progressed. Often, the low battery notification would appear and suddenly disappear. I check the battery level and it showed somewhere around 65% (weird). Then the notification would appear again a few minutes later. I check the battery level and now it showed somewhere around 45% (also weird). This problem where the incorrect battery level is shown still persists up to now.

> The issue progressed even further when sometimes, the low battery notification would appear, and the battery level shows 0%. After a few seconds, the "shut down" screen appears for around 2 seconds, and then the laptop abruptly shuts down (as if I held the power button). When I turn the power on again, and reach the desktop, I would see that the power level is at 60%! This happened around 5 times just this week.

SUMMARY:
> Wrong battery percentage shown
> Sudden shutdown (even when the battery has sufficient charge)
> Battery never fully charges

ACTIONS TAKEN:

> Tweak advanced power options
> Uninstall and reinstall Microsoft ACPI-compliant Control Method Battery drivers

> Removing and reinserting the battery

PLEASE HELP! I am not sure if this is a problem with my battery, battery drivers or something else. Now, I cant use my laptop without plugging it in in fear of suddenly shutting down and losing my work. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes this explains everything.

Your only option left to give a try is reload BIOS default. Update BIOS. But I highly suspect it is not going to give you anything better or a resolution.

Please replace battery with new HP OEM battery part.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Run HP battery test from HP support assistant.

HP Recommended

Ok, I did this just now and it displayed this info:

Capture.PNG

So I guess my battery is not doing so well, but does this explain the sudden shutdowns with no warning? Or the wrong battery percentage (and time remaining) displayed? Thank you

HP Recommended

Yes this explains everything.

Your only option left to give a try is reload BIOS default. Update BIOS. But I highly suspect it is not going to give you anything better or a resolution.

Please replace battery with new HP OEM battery part.

HP Recommended

Manual: Page 34
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04823146

Get this:
4-cell, 48-Whr, 3.2-Ah Li-ion battery : 800050-001

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.