cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 2
30 16 0 1
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

HP Pavilion Power 15t RAM and Storage Upgrade

HP Recommended
Pavilion Power 15t-CB000 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello HP Community. So my HP Pavilion Power 15t CB00 CTO has been struggling with the standard M.2 SATA card as I have no space even with just Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop installed as well as Word and Cyberlink Power Director and DVD the last of which cannot be installed to my 1tb SATA HDD. Also my biggest problem with my laptop is just how horrid the performance of the SSD is at only 276mb Sequential and 27.9 Random 4k while my SATA 1tb at 5600 RPM writes at 106mb/s Sequential and 1.07mb/s 4k which is expected. Naturally I looked it up and the SSD has no DRAM built in, so it's a really, really cheap SSD.

Obviously HP doesn't support more than 256 SSD but my warranty is up in 49 days and I will probably put a 500gb to free up a lot of space and I probably will get a SK Hynix M.2 NVME which I have installed in my desktop and I get around 3800 MB/s and 1gb random 4k which is fantastic and is ranked higher than most Intel Optane Chips from previous Generations. Either that or the Crucial P2 500gb.

As for RAM this is more for the future to keep my laptop running as long as possible. So Crucial actually says my laptop supports up to 32gb and mine is supported to 16gb, but even more intresting is that my laptop can support up to 3000mhz using Crucial Ballistix SODDIM DDR3 modules. Is this even possible? My laptop currently has stock 16gb modules and my old HP Dv7 was upgraded from 200mhz to a whopping 800mhz 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
86,220 86,105 10,947 23,511
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CooperChurch1 

It is a CTO machine therefore we won't have its specs. But from the Maintenance and Service Guide of the series you can

1. RAM: It uses DDR4 RAM, not DDR3 as you say and it supports DDR4 2400MHz up to 16GB (2 x 8GB). You can install 2666MHz or 3200MHz but it will automatically downgrade back to 2400MHz. The following will work at 2400MHz

https://www.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/bl2k8g32c16s4b/ct16753768

Crucial also says the series supports 16GB

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/hp---compaq/pavilion-power-15-(models-15-cb000---15-c...

2. SRORAGE: The manual says it supports dual storage with M.2 NVMe SSD + 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD.  Therefore you can use 1TB or 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD drive from Crucial P2, P5 or Samsung 970/980, for example

https://www.crucial.com/ssd/p5/ct1000p5ssd8/ct18143017

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation