Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook 15-au099nia
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Pavilion Notebook PC, with the [personal information removed] and Model 15-au099nia.

Yesterday, suddendly the battery stopped working. It was connected to the power supply and I have noticed that I had a message on the status bar "99% available (conected too power, NOT CHARGING).

Removed the power cord in order to see if I was abble to solve the problem, but the PC powered off.
I thought strange since the message I get is "99% battery power".

Tried to power on the PC without the power cord, but it does not power on;
Tried to power on with the power cord, it powers on but I still got the message "99% available (conected too power, NOT CHARGING);
Tried to restart the PC but it does not power off. The light on the power button keeps on forever and I have to press it in order to power off.

I have the pc for about an year and the battery was working fine. Usually I get 2.5/3h battery live (whith small processing charge).

So my actuall problems are:
- Battery connected to power but not charging;
- PC does not power on without the power cord;
- PC does not shutdown for itself. I have to use the power button to power off;

I have searched for similar problems but did not find any solution for my case.

What I have tried:
- HP Support Assistance and the Test battery utility. The test starts, but after a while I get a blank screen and pc HANGS.
- HP Support Assistance and updated Notebook PC ME Firmware Update and some other drivers (including graphic cards);
- Tried to use the HP Battery Program Validation Utility but the battery is not affected by the problem;

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@batalhadematos,

I have reviewed the post. It is delightful to have you back here. You've done amazingly well by displaying spectacular troubleshooting expertise, superb resilience and stupendous research to try and figure it out. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂You've tried all the relevant steps and the issue continues. As @A4Apollo is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf and taking over from here.

For now, try these steps please:

• Please calibrate the battery from this link:  http://hp.care/2nCyXN3 (HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows)
  • Then restore the power plan to defaults from here: http://hp.care/2syi9um (HP Notebook PCs - Managing Power Options (Windows 10)
  • Set it to high performance and check again for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, then please check this link out to improve battery performance. There is an associated video included as well. Link HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7):http://hp.care/2syuGOs
  • Now check for issue resolution.

• Now to answer your question please run the diagnostics on the battery from this link: http://hp.care/2syheXK
  • This is found under Component tests> Power>Battery
  • There is an adapter test also. Run tests on the adapter also.
  • If the battery tests fail it will give you a failure code or failure Id.
  • This is comprehensive proof that the battery is faulty and not the motherboard battery controllers. You could purchase the battery.
  •  
  • if the battery diagnostics fail to run or come up with a message that the battery is not detected or found, then the motherboard battery controllers are faulty and it would not be prudent to replace the battery at this stage.
  • Also here is a link to check the product specifications of the computer: http://hp.care/2GZEuW6 

• Power supply type
  • 65 W AC power adapter
  • Battery type
  • 2-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion

• Please check the service manual of the computer: http://hp.care/2ApPB72  and refer to pages 2 and 31  which gives the battery specs, part numbers with steps on how to replace it.

• You could contact HP parts from this link: http://hp.care/2tp77rQ and follow the on-screen instructions. to contact part surfer. 

If the computer is out of warranty by a long time, then contact a local technician like Best Buy and Staples in this regard to replace the battery after first checking with HP part surfer.

If the computer is less than 3 years old, then contact HP phone support to order the part.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2moMFSc  

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

​​​​​​​Now trust me I've done all I can to assist y:u by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been simply awesome to work with and it has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you. You've also been a valued HP customer. Thanks again for your time.

If this helps, to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi! @batalhadematos, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand the battery on your laptop is not charging when it is plugged in.

Don't worry I'll to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your laptop?

Have you tried charging your laptop using a different adapter or battery?

Please provide the product number of your laptop to assist you better.

As you mentioned the battery on your laptop is not charging when it is plugged in and you need to know if there is a battery recall on your laptop.

Try updating the BIOS on your PC from the link below.

Link to update the BIOS.

Try the steps recommended below.

Resetting the defaults in the BIOS returns the BIOS to the factory settings that your notebook was shipped with.
To reset the BIOS defaults, follow the steps below.
Press the power button to turn on the notebook and repeatedly press f10 to enter the BIOS setup.
Navigate through the BIOS and select the option to restore the BIOS defaults. The option will be called Restore Defaults or Setup Defaults, or something similar.
Confirm that you want to restore the BIOS defaults, and then select the option to save and exit the BIOS setup.

Also, Please perform below-shown steps to resolve the issue:

Step 01. Click on the Start Button
Step 02. Type "Device Manager" in the start search box & open the Device Manager
Step 03. Look for Batteries and expand it by click on the + symbol on the left
Step 04. Right Click on "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" & uninstall
Note: This Battery driver will get reinstalled automatically when you restart the Notebook again
Step 05. Please Shutdown the Notebook
Step 06. Please remove the Battery and unplug the Power Adapter
Step 07. Press and Hold the Power Button for full 1 Minute
Step 08. Go ahead and put back the Battery and connect the Power Adapter
Step 09. Look for "battery not detected" message on the Battery icon

Refer this article to further troubleshoot battery issues with your PC.

Also, try running a battery test on your PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

If the issue still persists refer this article to further troubleshoot battery not detected error message on your PC.

Refer this article to know more information about battery recalls on HP laptops.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear MrRobot,

Thank you very much for the update.

Yes. My problems are:

- The battery is not charging (always at 99% not charging message);

- The battery os not providing power to the laptop ((when I disconnect the Notebook from the power supply it power off);

- When I ask the system to shutdown the laptop, it closes all applycations but does not shutdown the laptop. I have to use the power button for a complete shutdown, or remove the power supply;

According to you questions:

- I have made no changes to the harware but installed some software (not system related software). The PC have been working fine;

- All hardware is original hardware shipped with the PC. Never used other battery nor adapter;

- NO. I am not looking for the battery recall for my laptop model. I have tested this in order to try to isolate my problem. I want to make sure it is a battery problem before buy another battery. I am affraid this is a problem not related to battery since it was working very fine unti sudenly stopped working;

The product details #:

HP Pavilion Notebook PC

MODEL: 15-au099nia

SN: 5CD6231XP5
PRODID: W6Z61EA#B10

I will try the procedures you refer and will update you accordingly

Thank you very much for your help

Regards

Paulo

HP Recommended

Hi @MrRobot,

Tried the solutions you provided and unfortunetly I was unaable to solve my issue with the battery/power.

After uprading the BIOS and reset seetings to factory defaults, the laptop now shutsdown when I ask to.

The two other problems remain:

- Battery no charging;

- Laptop does not power up without the power supply;

Is there any way I can check if it is a battery or system board problem? I want to make sure before buy a new battery.

Thank you once again

Regards

Paulo

HP Recommended

@batalhadematos,

I have reviewed the post. It is delightful to have you back here. You've done amazingly well by displaying spectacular troubleshooting expertise, superb resilience and stupendous research to try and figure it out. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂You've tried all the relevant steps and the issue continues. As @A4Apollo is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf and taking over from here.

For now, try these steps please:

• Please calibrate the battery from this link:  http://hp.care/2nCyXN3 (HP Notebook PCs - Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows)
  • Then restore the power plan to defaults from here: http://hp.care/2syi9um (HP Notebook PCs - Managing Power Options (Windows 10)
  • Set it to high performance and check again for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, then please check this link out to improve battery performance. There is an associated video included as well. Link HP Notebook PCs - Improving Battery Performance (Windows 10, 8, 7):http://hp.care/2syuGOs
  • Now check for issue resolution.

• Now to answer your question please run the diagnostics on the battery from this link: http://hp.care/2syheXK
  • This is found under Component tests> Power>Battery
  • There is an adapter test also. Run tests on the adapter also.
  • If the battery tests fail it will give you a failure code or failure Id.
  • This is comprehensive proof that the battery is faulty and not the motherboard battery controllers. You could purchase the battery.
  •  
  • if the battery diagnostics fail to run or come up with a message that the battery is not detected or found, then the motherboard battery controllers are faulty and it would not be prudent to replace the battery at this stage.
  • Also here is a link to check the product specifications of the computer: http://hp.care/2GZEuW6 

• Power supply type
  • 65 W AC power adapter
  • Battery type
  • 2-cell, 41 Wh Li-ion

• Please check the service manual of the computer: http://hp.care/2ApPB72  and refer to pages 2 and 31  which gives the battery specs, part numbers with steps on how to replace it.

• You could contact HP parts from this link: http://hp.care/2tp77rQ and follow the on-screen instructions. to contact part surfer. 

If the computer is out of warranty by a long time, then contact a local technician like Best Buy and Staples in this regard to replace the battery after first checking with HP part surfer.

If the computer is less than 3 years old, then contact HP phone support to order the part.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2moMFSc  

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

​​​​​​​Now trust me I've done all I can to assist y:u by keeping your best interest in mind. You've been simply awesome to work with and it has been an absolute privilege to have shared this platform with you. You've also been a valued HP customer. Thanks again for your time.

If this helps, to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @DavidSMP,

Thank you for your kind email and your help on solving this issue.

- First, I've tried to make a battery test using HP Hardware Diagnotics.
After about 20 seconds, I get a black screen and the PC hangs. I had to force a shutdown with power button.
I was unable to conclude the test and unable to calibrate it.

- Tried the second solution and while playing the video (associated video included as you refer), I've tried once again the battery test. This time the test started to run for longer (and I was also viewing the video at the same time) and during the test I have noticed lags on the video I was watching.

Cancelled the battery test and start it again (watching the video at the same time) and the same lags happens.

To make sure, used HP Hardware Diagnotics to test all other components and all tests PASSED, excep the battery test (the same black screen).

PS: I get no option to calibrate the battery.

In order to isolate any interference from Operating System or application with the tests, tried the components test using UEFI Diagnostics. Once again tested all components and all passed, excep for the battery.

The battery was not even tested since it has a charge level higher than 90% (according to the test results).
I was unable to conclude the test because system asks me to discharge the battery during at least 20 minutes before continuing with the tests. Since the laptop does not work without power, I am unable to discharge the battery.

Please refer to the below images:

Battery Step 1.pngBattery Details.png

In order to check for the "lags" on video playback, I have installed a game which is very heavy and requires lots of processing power.

As expected, the same lags where found during game play.

PS: I used to play this game on this PC very well.

As a final test, I have disconnected the battery form the PC and tested the game once again with the laptop directly connected to power and whitout the battery.

As a result, the game runs very well again.

To review:
1. Laptop with the battery connected:
- Does not charge the battery;
- Message tellling me that the battery is 99% charged;
- The problem happened sudenly. The battery was working fine;
- Problems on performance on applications that requires more processing power;
- Tested all components and all tests passed (including AC Adapter) except for the battery;

2. Whitout battery;
- Laptop performance increased (normalized);

Now I am almost sure the problem is related to the battery.

Is there any way I can discharge the battery with the ac adapter connected?
I want to try to test and calibrate the battery using UEFI Diagnostics.

Thank you once again

Best regards

Paulo

HP Recommended

@batalhadematos

Thanks for replying. You've been fabulous to work with considering your superb technical skills, remarkable patience and great attitude. Kudos to you for that.

As @DavidSMP and @A4Apollo re out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

The battery cannot be discharged with the charger plugged in. The evidence points towards a defective battery. However, even after replacing the battery if the issue persists then it is the battery connectors on the motherboard.

It is a good idea to contact our HP phone support team to explore the available service options for your laptop. 

Hope this works out. Let me know.

Good luck! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.