Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6000 (RP985EA#ABZ)
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

good morning, I would like to increase the ram to my hp pavilio dv6000
product name HP Pavilion dv6000 (RP985EA # ABZ)
service dv6115ea
now i have two 512mb banks i tried with 2 2gb banks but the computer does not start, do i have to update the bios or does it not support them? up to how many GB can I get?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to see the BIOS version your notebook is on in the BIOS' system information window, or in the under the system information program shown in the Windows administrative tools programs section.

In any event, this was the last BIOS HP released for your model. 

It will include whatever previous BIOS update that fixed the blue screen error when 2 x 2 GB of memory was added.

Info file:  F.2E    April 12, 2010

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48121.html

Exe file:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48121.exe

I am pretty sure that if you install 2 x 2 GB of memory in that model, only 3 GB shows up as usable, no matter what BIOS version is installed.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Max RAM for the machine is 2GB

"256-MB DDR synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) at 667 MHz, expandable to 2.0 GB"

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Hi, @mini80 

What BIOS revision does your notebook have?

There was a BIOS update back in the day that added support for 2 x 2 GB of memory for models like yours that have the Intel processors.

HP Recommended

how can i know the bios version?
I tried to install 2x2gb but only 3gb is read to me

HP Recommended

Hi:

You should be able to see the BIOS version your notebook is on in the BIOS' system information window, or in the under the system information program shown in the Windows administrative tools programs section.

In any event, this was the last BIOS HP released for your model. 

It will include whatever previous BIOS update that fixed the blue screen error when 2 x 2 GB of memory was added.

Info file:  F.2E    April 12, 2010

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48121.html

Exe file:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48001-48500/sp48121.exe

I am pretty sure that if you install 2 x 2 GB of memory in that model, only 3 GB shows up as usable, no matter what BIOS version is installed.

HP Recommended

great, I did the update, now detects all 4Gb, too bad that only 2.99Gb are usable but I'm happy

dati pc.jpg

HP Recommended

Approximately 3 gigs is all you can have with a 32 bit operating system anyway. Pretty sure even if you installed 64 bit Windows you would be able to use only about 3 gigs of memory. 

HP Recommended

Glad the BIOS update got the PC to recognize all 4 GB of memory, 3.0 GB usable.

In order for Windows to see and use the whole 4 GB, your notebook needed to have the mobile Intel 965 chipset which supports 8 GB of memory.

Yours has the mobile Intel 945 chipset which, even with a 64 bit OS would make no difference in what you are seeing now.

As a matter of fact, a 64 bit operating system would perform worse in your notebook because 64 bit OS' require more memory and disk space than a 32 bit OS does.  Not double, but more.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.