Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Honor Student, most of us here have already tried what you have stated I have pulled mine apart so many times and yes replaced the thermal paste on the heat sink all to no avail. I have since modified the bottom of the case to allow greater air flow and have it sitting on a deep cool N8 cooling platform.  It helped it run a bit longer before it started overheating.  After doing a heap more research and experimenting I discovered if you use an external monitor and turn off the internal monitor the over heating problem goes away.  I now run it with 2 x 27"external monitors and it will run all day without crashing or over heating. it seems that the video chip may be the main cause of the over heating problem. 

I wouldn't suggest that anyone go to the extreems I did but I would suggest try plugging in an external monitor and turning of the laptop monitor I would be interested to see if the results are the same as mine

HP Recommended

Bottom right taskbar, click the small upward arrow. Show hidden icons. Click the snowflake which is the HP Coolsense. Turn it off.  The cooling fan is turned on so it continually runs and in turn causes the over heating.  I had the same problem but I followed these steps and now my computer is a normal temperature.

HP Recommended

Dear All,

Did have the same topic on the laptop (HP Pavilion dv7 ; i7-2670QM cpu) of my daughter.

Windows 10 installed.

(downloaded Notebook FanControl to monitor the temp > supports HP Pavilion dv6 > did work for the dv7)

Temperature of 90°/95° and ventilator running at 100% 5min after starting up.

Laptop even shut-off after a while to protect the hardware...

This is what we found:

Cleaning the vent by blowing the dust with compressor was the first step. (did not solve the issue)

Did give us some extra time to search for the cause.

Looking at the task manager (ctrl, shift, esc)  there was a program pcuminer running in the background.

After deïnstalling this with ccleaner the ventilator immediately slowed down.

Also look at the start-up programs to remove the undesirable program.

Google cpuminer to find the removal guide and info.

Did help for us ,hope it can help some of you...

temperature is now between 42 and 70, fan speed = quied.

HP Recommended

Watch the hinges....there is a design defect and the case cracks. If that happens, may as well scrap it like I did.

HP Recommended

The problem I had was a design defect....stainless steel screw into a plastic base causing separation of the top and base. The motherboard, power source and various other components burned out (and I only used it for 100 hours !!). HP offered no support and I had to scrap the computer. NEVER AGAIN HP !!!!

HP Recommended

My 2010 HP G62-340US Notebook PC, finally, stopped running many months ago! I bought it in Dec. 2010! It ran way, too, hot!  I am retired, now, on $600 a month plus medical!  My ISP doubled & I will have to stop using my HP desktop which I bought in June 2010....won't last much longer anyway!  All of my utilities, etc. have went way up!  I found cheap internet, but have to get food stamps to qualify, which I don't!  I get help with my gas heating bill.....that's all!  Big business should help us!   The internet is all I have to entertain myself [no games, just, searching & helping to save animals}!  Health problems hold me back from going to festivals, or anywhere!  Too, hot in summer & city plows me in in the winter!  There is no such thing as the GOLDEN YEARS!!!  I don't understand why computers do not last longer as expensive as they are!

HP Recommended

I guess with all of these complaints, I won't be getting an HP if I can find an affordable laptop & get my ISP much cheaper!

HP Recommended

My model with the inherant heating issues is many years old now. I believe they stopped that dreaded design path long ago. Best to do model specific research..

HP Recommended

YUP

have HP DV7 4058ca u could use mine as a space HEATER, & the Noise from the FAN, the heat also got worse when i upgraded to a SSD,  had to buy a 2nd laptop for parts to keep this piece of junk running. wish i had not wasted my time and money on this piece of CRAP.

When used for Gaming u have to use a mouse, so your right hand is freezing  and left hand is Burnt, also burning a hole in my desk where the fan sits.

if run in a warm space it will overheat and FAIL. JUST BAD DESIGN

HP Recommended

For those having the "fan not speeding-up when temps are high" issue.

After months of extensive and dedicated research, I found that the EC registry values could be edited with the RWEverything tool , which is risky if you don't know what you're doing. Then, I found that someone implemented an interface to control your laptop/notebook fanspeed with pre-loaded settings which can be edited safely: NoteBook FanControl . You gotta find your model and load the settings: supported models  

If your model isn't listed give a try to other models's settings, I have an HP Pavilion DV7 and the settings for the HP Compaq Turion worked for me.

In short, my fan suddenly stopped spinning faster, I did all sort of things from cleaning, tweaking, rolling back BIOS to fan replacement but nothing worked, and when I ran NoteBook FanControl and my fan started to spin faster then I realizaed that it must be a BIOS update that generated this issue in my case.

I just got tired of the HP grunts and their genneric answer, asking if you asked what you've just asked: "I understand you have a problem, is that correct? I'm here to help", which it really means "I WANT KUDOSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!"

Never HP again, ever.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.