Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-cd1169nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

I connected my HP Pavilion Notebook to a Dockingstation via USB-C.

The Docking station has an output of 85 W and works fine for my other Laptops (Dell & Lenovo).

But with my HP it's not charging at all.

Is there a datasheet or description if 85 W are enough for charging the battery via USB-C?

Or could there be a Problem with the charging?

All the other things like two additional screens, mouse and keyboard are working fine at the same time, so in general the USB-C is working.

Maybe someone can help me with this issue.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Stefan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Stefan86 

I can't find its specs but it should use one of the following AC Adapters (chargers)

• 200 W part # L00818-850
  • 150 W part # L32661-001
  • 135 W part # L15534-001

Your dock only gives 85W that why it won't charge your machine (actually it can charge your machine overnight or when machine is nearly idle).

I tested my  HP USB-C Gen 5 dock (out 100W) with 4 of my machines (because they have USB-C or Thunderbolt™ 3 port.)

(a) HP Elitebook 840 G5 with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 65W
   (b) HP Omen 15-dc0071tx with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 200W
   (c) Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 13-7000 series with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 65W
   (d) HP Envy x360 15-ee0047nr with USB-C 10Gbps with PD and DP 1.4 - PSU 65W

The dock gives 3 FHD external monitors for all but it won't change my HP Omen. I'm using it on  machine (a) now and they are TRUE mates with a single cable solution (power the dock will power machine and shutdown machine will power off the dock).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Stefan86 

I can't find its specs but it should use one of the following AC Adapters (chargers)

• 200 W part # L00818-850
  • 150 W part # L32661-001
  • 135 W part # L15534-001

Your dock only gives 85W that why it won't charge your machine (actually it can charge your machine overnight or when machine is nearly idle).

I tested my  HP USB-C Gen 5 dock (out 100W) with 4 of my machines (because they have USB-C or Thunderbolt™ 3 port.)

(a) HP Elitebook 840 G5 with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 65W
   (b) HP Omen 15-dc0071tx with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 200W
   (c) Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 13-7000 series with Thunderbolt™ 3 port - PSU 65W
   (d) HP Envy x360 15-ee0047nr with USB-C 10Gbps with PD and DP 1.4 - PSU 65W

The dock gives 3 FHD external monitors for all but it won't change my HP Omen. I'm using it on  machine (a) now and they are TRUE mates with a single cable solution (power the dock will power machine and shutdown machine will power off the dock).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I also contacted the manufacturer of Docking Station and he confirms that it won't work.

My Power Supply gives 200W.

The USB-C Power delivery will give 100W at maximum so my Pavilion won't charge at all via USB-C.

I thought this would be possible since there is a "lightning" symbol at the USB-C connector. But it seems this is the sign for Thunderbolt and has nothing to do with charging.

Regards,

Stefan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.